+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Too much luggage?

JessicaLynn

Newbie
Feb 25, 2011
9
0
119
Oregon, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So, in 11 days I am leaving the US where I am a citizen to visit my Canadian boyfriend. While I am there we are going to get married and I'm going to live there with him throughout the process while extending visitor status if necessary. My concern is this: I have a round trip ticket with my return flight a week-ish after my departure so immigration doesn't think I am trying to move there. The problem is I plan on taking a large, large suitcase and another small carry-on bag. Do you think they will see the large suitcase and wonder why I need such a huge bag for only a week vacation or am I just being paranoid at this point? I've been through immigration several times before doing this same trip and have never been asked about too much luggage but of course now that I am actually planning on staying I am freaking out about this!

Thanks guys!
 
E

emmagail

Guest
Your a woman, so immigration know there is no such thing as too much luggage as far as a woman is concerned!!!!
When we came, through Toronto though, from Shannon, Ireland, we had 8 cases and a fishing rod holder, plus 4 hand luggage and 2 lap-tops, nothing said.
Congratulations, and best of luck on the wedding
 

campesinaj

Star Member
Jan 30, 2009
100
2
Category........
Visa Office......
Lima, Peru
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05-2010
AOR Received.
29-06-2010 In Process in Lima
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
19-03-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
03-03-2011
LANDED..........
17-03-2011
If it's within the limit for your baggage weight/size, the only people really inspecting luggage will be the airline. I haven't had customs ask me about the size of the bag. The only think I could think they would ask about is if t's an unusual package, animal, prohibited or declared items or something like that.

I think you're overthinking it - If they ever asked, you just tell them you're not a good packer and always bring everything with you when you travel!
 

JessicaLynn

Newbie
Feb 25, 2011
9
0
119
Oregon, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Haha I was sure hoping they would take my gender into account! Wow it sounds like you had a lot of luggage, that definitely sets my mind at ease about this. Thank you. :)

Ok thank you, I was pretty sure I was over-thinking it too but man this stuff is so stressful, I had to get someone else's opinion on it and I figured this is the best place to ask as everyone has so many experiences to share!
 
E

emmagail

Guest
Ya, just worry about the airline nailing you for excess weight.

Don't forget, throw a hissy-fit if they start!, it worked for my wife when i questioned ALL the shoes that she needed, yet my poor rugby jerseys didnt make the cut!!
 

JessicaLynn

Newbie
Feb 25, 2011
9
0
119
Oregon, USA
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well yeah I have already accepted the fact that I will definitely be paying an extra fee for my bag, I checked Air Canada's website and it's over the weight and size restrictions and will require a fee. But it's really a small price to pay for having nearly my entire wardrobe. :D If I had to pick which shoes to bring and which to leave here it would be VERY difficult. :p
 
E

emmagail

Guest
It came to the stage leaving Ireland, would it be me, or one of the children who would arrive with just a toothbrush and a change of underpants!
 

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
180
7
Funny thing is when I came for three weeks the IO at Pearson actually questioned why I just had a small carry on.....I think she was referring to how I must have clothes in Canada. What a crime! :eek:
 

doctorkb

Hero Member
Feb 6, 2011
470
17
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY, USA
NOC Code......
<img src="http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/usa-flag-89.gif">
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-JAN-2011
Doc's Request.
12-SEP-2011 / e-mailed 20-SEP-2011
AOR Received.
29-APR-2011
File Transfer...
03-FEB-2011 / In Process 16-AUG-2011
Med's Done....
29-SEP-2010
Interview........
<img src="http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-random-smileys-838.gif"> (waived, get it?)
Passport Req..
24-OCT-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-NOV-2011
LANDED..........
07-DEC-2011
It may be cheaper to split it into two bags -- I think AC's second bag charge is only ~$25, whereas it's about $70 for overweight and you don't even get 50 lbs out of the overweight fee.
 

Material

Hero Member
Feb 16, 2011
346
11
JessicaLynn said:
So, in 11 days I am leaving the US where I am a citizen to visit my Canadian boyfriend. While I am there we are going to get married and I'm going to live there with him throughout the process while extending visitor status if necessary. My concern is this: I have a round trip ticket with my return flight a week-ish after my departure so immigration doesn't think I am trying to move there. The problem is I plan on taking a large, large suitcase and another small carry-on bag. Do you think they will see the large suitcase and wonder why I need such a huge bag for only a week vacation or am I just being paranoid at this point? I've been through immigration several times before doing this same trip and have never been asked about too much luggage but of course now that I am actually planning on staying I am freaking out about this!

Thanks guys!
I just want to share my experiance...

My wife was in a similiar situation and the IO felt a threat that she might be staying so she asked to search her luggage offcourse she had a lot of clothings and this is what she found and said :

A pair of gloves >>my wife came to Canada during the summer (the IO said why do you need gloves during this time !!)

Bed sheets (again IO with an odd question this time why do you need the sheets your not going to stay here for long)

She even searched her hand purse >>so if I were you I would reconsider and would find another way to bring the luggage because if the IO for any reason thought that you might be staying he/she will search everything you bring and carry.

Just my experiance dont mean to scare you so sorry !! and offcourse it all depends on the IO at the border or airport

hope this helps
 

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
4,888
204
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife was in a similiar situation and the IO felt a threat that she might be staying so she asked to search her luggage offcourse she had a lot of clothings
Material, you make a valid point here. Many people concentrate on the documentation that they carry to prove their intentions, IO's look at a bigger picture.

I suppose the question most people would ask is "why so much luggage for a one week trip".

The OP needs to be careful when answering questions and declaring intent.
 

Material

Hero Member
Feb 16, 2011
346
11
Baloo said:
Material, you make a valid point here. Many people concentrate on the documentation that they carry to prove their intentions, IO's look at a bigger picture.

I suppose the question most people would ask is "why so much luggage for a one week trip".

The OP needs to be careful when answering questions and declaring intent.
Yeah Balo it’s always good to be on the safe side especially when it comes to immigration Canada
 

buffalo-toronto

Hero Member
Feb 8, 2011
215
2
Category........
Visa Office......
BUF
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2011
AOR Received.
August 2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Done....
29-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
Actually if she is flying then the IO will not know how much luuggage she is bringing in as the immigration happens first and then the baggage claim so I guess she should be fine with the IO.
 

Material

Hero Member
Feb 16, 2011
346
11
buffalo-toronto said:
Actually if she is flying then the IO will not know how much luuggage she is bringing in as the immigration happens first and then the baggage claim so I guess she should be fine with the IO.
Not necessarily because my wifes situation happened at Montreal airport , ok this is how it happens you get out of the plane u stand in line wait for the IO clerk to see your passport if for any reason he doughts that you will leave once your visit is over he will send you to immigration at the airport and thats when they can ask to see your luggage and when all the questioning starts on the other hand this might not happen but if it does what would your anwsers be??