+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

To take vehicle from USA to Canada

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Hello All, sorry for being a little off topic. I am planning to buy a mid sized SUV here in USA and later take it along wn I shift to Canada. Those who have already moved and are living in Canada, kindly help me with making a right choice of vehicle. I am a PNP nominee and I would have to stay in Saskatchewan province as a nominee. I know overall conditions in Canada are similar (snowy). Any suggestions on the type/brand of SUV please? I am confused between Toyota, Subaru and Honda as my top preferences. What could be the choice? Probably work will take my out of Saskatchewan towards Ontario later.

absi

Star Member
Jul 29, 2021
Hello All, sorry for being a little off topic. I am planning to buy a mid sized SUV here in USA and later take it along wn I shift to Canada. Those who have already moved and are living in Canada, kindly help me with making a right choice of vehicle. I am a PNP nominee and I would have to stay in Saskatchewan province as a nominee. I know overall conditions in Canada are similar (snowy). Any suggestions on the type/brand of SUV please? I am confused between Toyota, Subaru and Honda as my top preferences. What could be the choice? Probably work will take my out of Saskatchewan towards Ontario later.

Toyota (make sure to get AWD and cold weather feature)
Subaru(its AWD by default but make sure to get cold weather feature)

Reactions: Abhi1982

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
Toyota (make sure to get AWD and cold weather feature)
Subaru(its AWD by default but make sure to get cold weather feature)
Thankyou for your reply. these vehicles have odometer that has mph and kmph both. But miles travelled only. Does vehicle need to have kms mandatory dashboard? What is to be done? does one need to get some mechanical changes done to show kms in place of miles, when in Canada?

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
Thankyou for your reply. these vehicles have odometer that has mph and kmph both. But miles travelled only. Does vehicle need to have kms mandatory dashboard? What is to be done? does one need to get some mechanical changes done to show kms in place of miles, when in Canada?
As long as speedometer has miles and kilometers both - you should be good. There is also a requirement for Day time running lights, most newer vehicles should be good in that regards.

shersingh

Oct 5, 2017
What is your rational to buy a car from USA rather than buying in Canada itself? My vehicle is pretty old, I am trying to figure out myself what makes more sense. I would love to hear how you decided.

https://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinformationonnewcarsboughtintheUS.asp this website can tell you about car manufactures honoring warranty in canada or not.

From what I inferred, toyota offers full warranty in Canada. For subaru's I think you would either need to drive your car back to USA or submit bills for reimbursements. To me a toyota makes more sense just for the piece of mind warranty wise.

Abhi1982

Star Member
Jul 8, 2019
What is your rational to buy a car from USA rather than buying in Canada itself? My vehicle is pretty old, I am trying to figure out myself what makes more sense. I would love to hear how you decided.

https://www.apa.ca/CanadianWarrantyinformationonnewcarsboughtintheUS.asp this website can tell you about car manufactures honoring warranty in canada or not.

From what I inferred, toyota offers full warranty in Canada. For subaru's I think you would either need to drive your car back to USA or submit bills for reimbursements. To me a toyota makes more sense just for the piece of mind warranty wise.
you are right. Toyota warranty is honored. Subatu Canada, today replied to me on email that even they have a reciprocal agreement with Subaru USA and warranty coverage will apply. I will be checking with them about all details and the hooks in the whole process. My view of thinking of buying a car from here is less wait periods. There, Ive heard that avg wait periods after placing an order can be 4-5 months. Given that one needs to fulfil other formalities before order the car (like license etc), having a car in hand would be better to save some time (may be a couple of months in the whole process). In a place like Canada, winter weather can be tough, even if one has to manage for 2 months extra.

wink

May 25, 2021
There is a setting in most of the vehicle to change between miles and km. Mine is a CRV, bought in US, but once crossed the border, I changed it to show in km. It was very easy.

Reactions: Abhi1982