+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Thread for outland Buffalo applicants!

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hey CG

can you suggest on how should i email to Ottawa if i want to ask them about the update on my file?
should I just email them once or should i keep emailing them (which would sound like disturbing them) until they reply me

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
simb said:
thats the good explanation of 'proof of residency' CG
I never thought of these ones..
Now I feel weird because he is a citizen,but he is living in USA with me now.Does that matter?

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
computergeek said:
Is your sponsor a PR or a Citizen? A PR must be able to prove residency while sponsoring you, so things that would demonstrate current residence in Canada would be vital. Even parking tickets could be used (because they show presence in Canada). That's why they don't limit it.

Receipts for groceries, gas, transit, toll receipts, these are all the types of things that could also be used to demonstrate presence, so long as they can be tied to the sponsor. So a debit or credit card receipt showing a number matching one that belongs to the sponsor would be a good example. A property lease and rent receipts make sense too, but mortgage receipts might be for a property that you rent out. Certainly pay stubs are evidence as well, but cell phone bills showing calls being made from a location in Canada are evidence as well.

Good luck!
Thanks for your details. My sponsor is a citizen but living in USA with working permit now.
So he doesn't have a lot of evidence,we'll try to provide some of them,like car was bought in Canada.
I feel a little weird now.
How come they ask for that?

simb

Apr 15, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Mississauga
cindy-cn said:
Thanks for your details. My sponsor is a citizen but living in USA with working permit now.
So he doesn't have a lot of evidence,we'll try to provide some of them,like car was bought in Canada.
i would say you never know about cic
but try to send as many proofs you can collect.. like the car u bought..passport copy

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cindy-cn said:
Citizen's don't have to be living in Canada to sponsor. Instead, what I would do is send them a copy of his work permit (which should have an expiration date on it) as well as other return-to-Canada information (e.g., family/friends with whom you can stay when you return, etc.) They definitely should not be asking for evidence he is in Canada now, not as a Citizen. I'd send them a copy of his passport as well and a nice cover letter that says "I'm a Canadian citizen, living abroad with my spouse. Once you approve the visa we plan on moving to Canada. Enclosed is evidence that I plan to return by X time, but given how long this process has already taken, I reserve the right to change this should you be unable or unwilling to deliver my spouse's visa by that time."

I'd definitely send them something - not answering gives them an excuse to refuse. But answering with something, even if it is not what they request, means they have to follow-up with you.

cindy-cn

Sep 25, 2012
computergeek said:
Citizen's don't have to be living in Canada to sponsor. Instead, what I would do is send them a copy of his work permit (which should have an expiration date on it) as well as other return-to-Canada information (e.g., family/friends with whom you can stay when you return, etc.) They definitely should not be asking for evidence he is in Canada now, not as a Citizen. I'd send them a copy of his passport as well and a nice cover letter that says "I'm a Canadian citizen, living abroad with my spouse. Once you approve the visa we plan on moving to Canada. Enclosed is evidence that I plan to return by X time, but given how long this process has already taken, I reserve the right to change this should you be unable or unwilling to deliver my spouse's visa by that time."

I'd definitely send them something - not answering gives them an excuse to refuse. But answering with something, even if it is not what they request, means they have to follow-up with you.
That's a good idea!! We'll copy his work permit and his employer's letter.Also, a cover letter to explain our situation can help a lot too.Actually, he has been to Canada so many times lately,so we do have some evidences.In addition, since some companies trying to have him work for them,he got some interview invitations from Canada, which may indicate our plan to return to Canada.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cindy-cn said:
That's a good idea!! We'll copy his work permit and his employer's letter.Also, a cover letter to explain our situation can help a lot too.Actually, he has been to Canada so many times lately,so we do have some evidences.In addition, since some companies trying to have him work for them,he got some interview invitations from Canada, which may indicate our plan to return to Canada.
Exactly - this all sounds terrific, and should be more than enough for the VO.

homi2285

Oct 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo / Ottawa office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-07-2011
File Transfer...
06-09-2011
Med's Done....
before sending the application in July 2011
Passport Req..
21-12-2012
Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about expired medical exam. The MP officer looked into my application again 3 days ago and said that it seems like my medical exam is expired and that the case officer will probably ask me to retake the exam soon. I already emailed Ottawa office to ask about that, but they haven't replied me as usual....

So should I just go ahead and retake the exam anyway? The exam is expensive but I would rather do it now and prevent any further delay... It has already been 1 year 4 months and counting...

If that's the case, in the Appendix C that I will have to fill out and take it with me to my medical appointment, which Visa Office should I put down ? ( ottawa I guess? since my application is being processed there).
Also once it's done, the doctor will give me a receipt, should I scan and send it to Ottawa office via email?

Please advise. Thanks a ton!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
homi2285 said:
Hi everyone,
I have a quick question about expired medical exam. The MP officer looked into my application again 3 days ago and said that it seems like my medical exam is expired and that the case officer will probably ask me to retake the exam soon. I already emailed Ottawa office to ask about that, but they haven't replied me as usual....

So should I just go ahead and retake the exam anyway? The exam is expensive but I would rather do it now and prevent any further delay... It has already been 1 year 4 months and counting...

If that's the case, in the Appendix C that I will have to fill out and take it with me to my medical appointment, which Visa Office should I put down ? ( ottawa I guess? since my application is being processed there).
Also once it's done, the doctor will give me a receipt, should I scan and send it to Ottawa office via email?

Please advise. Thanks a ton!
I would wait until you hear from them, because they can extend it if needed.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
It's official our lawyers received our COPR!! Thank you to everyone for their support!! We will be landing shortly!!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cgagnon said:
It's official our lawyers received our COPR!! Thank you to everyone for their support!! We will be landing shortly!!
Woot! Yeah!

Congratulations!

Whew. What a relief. Now I can stop feeling so guilty about landing a month ago.

cgagnon

Nov 10, 2011
Montreal,QC
Category........
Visa Office......
LA(Buffalo)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2012
AOR Received.
None
File Transfer...
31-05-2012
Med's Done....
13-12-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10/10/2012
computergeek said:
Woot! Yeah!

Congratulations!

Whew. What a relief. Now I can stop feeling so guilty about landing a month ago.
You had other circumstances!! I don't think you should have felt guilty 25 days and they sent it to the wrong address! But we are getting it tomorrow through fed ex... Now to figure out how we want to land...Go on a trip or flag pole!

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
cgagnon said:
But we are getting it tomorrow through fed ex... Now to figure out how we want to land...Go on a trip or flag pole!
I love FedEx... :)

Don't forget you need to have a US entry date stamp in the passport. A friend of mine didn't do that a couple years ago and they made him go back to the US side and get his passport stamped. Something about how you have to do it when entering Canada, so you have to be able to prove you are entering or some such nonsense.

WaterDad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
AOR Received.
31-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-03-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made-- 01/12/2012
computergeek said:
I love FedEx... :)

Don't forget you need to have a US entry date stamp in the passport.
A friend of mine didn't do that a couple years ago and they made him go back to the US side and get his passport stamped. Something about how you have to do it when entering Canada, so you have to be able to prove you are entering or some such nonsense.
Woah. Thanks for this tip.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
WaterDad said:
Woah. Thanks for this tip.
Non-US citizens can just get an administrative refusal. http://scotthoughts.net/blog/?p=736

US citizens (and US PRs) cannot be refused, so you just get your passport stamped. The day I did it the "return to Canada" ramp at Peace Arch secondary inspections was barricaded, so we had to actually go into the little border town (Blaine, WA) and then through a pair of round-abouts to go back to Canada. I'm glad I didn't wait a couple days - they had Peace Arch closed for days after the CBSA officer was shot (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/metro/Peace+Arch+border+crossing+reopens+suspected+shooter/7399388/story.html)