+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Things we like about Quebec (Le Québec qu'on aime)

Smearingo

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016 (received on 06-01-2016)
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016 (RPRF and PCC from Hong Kong)
Nomination.....
CSQ-PEQ-étudiant, issued: 23-12-2015, received: 30-12-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
04-07-2016 (submitted 13-07-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-01-2017 (photocopy of passport pages [visa-exempt country] + 2 recent photos); documents sent: 05-01-2017, delivered: unknown (always "out for delivery" since 09-01-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt Country, CoPR issued: 16-01-2017, GC-key/MyCIC account finalized: 19-01-2017, return envelope activated: 20-01-2017; CoPR received: 23-01-2017
LANDED..........
24-01-2017
I want to open this post to share something positive about Quebec as the place where we intend to settle as our home. :-*

(I have seen a post some time ago in which the writer shared their bad or frustrating experience in Quebec -- to which I am very sympathetic. Immigration is no fairy tale. There is inevitably some difficulty we need to face. And oftentimes, reality falls short of our expectation.) But I think it will be great to have a more upbeat topic here on those things we like in this province.

since I moved to Montreal as an international student, I have travelled to the US and Ontario (I realized that I have only been to Quebec and Ontario in Canada! now I am planning to do two trips that will cover all the 10 provinces) for different trips (sometimes for participating in conferences or symposia, friends' wedding, sightseeing, shopping, visiting friends). Everytime when I came back to Montreal I would always feel great that I am home again. Montreal is the only place in North America where I can feel home, it is my second hometown -- I find myself saying this sometimes.

Indeed, I am eligible for other immigration programmes. But I really wanted to get the PR through Quebec. (and some other programmes actually state clearly that the applicants should intend to settle in any province of Canada other than Quebec--I am always taken aback by this rule.) If it is not Quebec, I might not wish to get Canadian PR. [But I would have to say that I find it annoying that QSW in the federal part takes unreasonably and unfairly long time for processing -- haven't we already gone through the CSQ selection process?]

One thing I particularly love here is of course the French language. My French is not perfect, but I feel great to have a wonderful environment to practise the language. French books, newspapers (I read Le Devoir), magazines, TV programmes and files are easily accessible here. (though I still find their accent not always easy to understand -- I started learning French in Alliance Française in my home country where, of course, we were taught Parisian French in which déjeuner is lunch, dîner is dinner.) I respect their perceived need to protect the French language (or joual) (albeit to the extent that some quebecois are hostile to English).

I also find the politics here quite interesting. (a new friend would ask in her first conversation with me whether I am federalist or sovereignist).

I normally do not like alcohol (i think my liver could not take it). But I am quite happy to discover the charming taste of Ice Cider (which is a quebec invention).

what about you? why would you choose to immigrate to Quebec? what attracts you here? what is the thing you like about Quebec?

Gymguy

Jul 6, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2016
LANDED..........
July End
Smearingo said:
I want to open this post to share something positive about Quebec as the place where we intend to settle as our home. :-*

(I have seen a post some time ago in which the writer shared their bad or frustrating experience in Quebec -- to which I am very sympathetic. Immigration is no fairy tale. There is inevitably some difficulty we need to face. And oftentimes, reality falls short of our expectation.) But I think it will be great to have a more upbeat topic here on those things we like in this province.

since I moved to Montreal as an international student, I have travelled to the US and Ontario (I realized that I have only been to Quebec and Ontario in Canada! now I am planning to do two trips that will cover all the 10 provinces) for different trips (sometimes for participating in conferences or symposia, friends' wedding, sightseeing, shopping, visiting friends). Everytime when I came back to Montreal I would always feel great that I am home again. Montreal is the only place in North America where I can feel home, it is my second hometown -- I find myself saying this sometimes.

Indeed, I am eligible for other immigration programmes. But I really wanted to get the PR through Quebec. (and some other programmes actually state clearly that the applicants should intend to settle in any province of Canada other than Quebec--I am always taken aback by this rule.) If it is not Quebec, I might not wish to get Canadian PR. [But I would have to say that I find it annoying that QSW in the federal part takes unreasonably and unfairly long time for processing -- haven't we already gone through the CSQ selection process?]

One thing I particularly love here is of course the French language. My French is not perfect, but I feel great to have a wonderful environment to practise the language. French books, newspapers (I read Le Devoir), magazines, TV programmes and files are easily accessible here. (though I still find their accent not always easy to understand -- I started learning French in Alliance Française in my home country where, of course, we were taught Parisian French in which déjeuner is lunch, dîner is dinner.) I respect their perceived need to protect the French language (or joual) (albeit to the extent that some quebecois are hostile to English).

I also find the politics here quite interesting. (a new friend would ask in her first conversation with me whether I am federalist or sovereignist).

I normally do not like alcohol (i think my liver could not take it). But I am quite happy to discover the charming taste of Ice Cider (which is a quebec invention).

what about you? why would you choose to immigrate to Quebec? what attracts you here? what is the thing you like about Quebec?
Great to hear positive side of Quebec.

I and my brother are moving to Montreal next week as an International student and Yes we intend to learn French and try our level best to assimilate in the culture.

How's the job scenario btw for english speaking job-seekers.

Cheers

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
Smearingo said:

I'm still in my home country (US), and like you have been studying French at the Alliance Francaise... I've done a study abroad program, and have traveled to many different countries, but I find myself wanting to be closer to my family, but immerse myself in a foreign capital with the opportunity to learn and speak a different language. I'm looking forward to experiencing a bit of different culture, and at the same time remaining close to my family in New York state, and for me that all spells Montreal. I proposed to my now wife in Montreal at the Chalet du Montreal, and even though we now live in Phoenix, and the weather will be a huge change, we're both looking forward to giving life in Montreal a chance! :)

Smearingo

Star Member
May 17, 2016
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS / Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016 (received on 06-01-2016)
Doc's Request.
21-07-2016 (RPRF and PCC from Hong Kong)
Nomination.....
CSQ-PEQ-étudiant, issued: 23-12-2015, received: 30-12-2015
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
Med's Request
30-06-2016
Med's Done....
04-07-2016 (submitted 13-07-2016)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
05-01-2017 (photocopy of passport pages [visa-exempt country] + 2 recent photos); documents sent: 05-01-2017, delivered: unknown (always "out for delivery" since 09-01-2017)
VISA ISSUED...
Visa Exempt Country, CoPR issued: 16-01-2017, GC-key/MyCIC account finalized: 19-01-2017, return envelope activated: 20-01-2017; CoPR received: 23-01-2017
LANDED..........
24-01-2017
Mthornt said:
I'm still in my home country (US), and like you have been studying French at the Alliance Francaise... I've done a study abroad program, and have traveled to many different countries, but I find myself wanting to be closer to my family, but immerse myself in a foreign capital with the opportunity to learn and speak a different language. I'm looking forward to experiencing a bit of different culture, and at the same time remaining close to my family in New York state, and for me that all spells Montreal. I proposed to my now wife in Montreal at the Chalet du Montreal, and even though we now live in Phoenix, and the weather will be a huge change, we're both looking forward to giving life in Montreal a chance! :)
wow that's lovely to hear from all of you @gymguy, @APPNOV2014NY, and @ Mthornt!
Yeah, differences (particularly in relation to the complexity of languages in everyday life), I think, are what attract us most in Montreal -- "us", I mean new immigrants. you know, one feels one could contribute to (or simply be part of) this fabric of differences without feeling the awkwardness or being excluded or a stranger.
I always feel blessed that Montreal is for me the only city I could consider my home in the Americas (both continents). (Somehow, I have this impression, though, that it's Montreal who have chosen me, rather than me, it ;) )

drvijayreddepaka

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
code.130 (3112,omnipraticienes et médecins en médecine familiale)
Gymguy said:
Great to hear positive side of Quebec.

I and my brother are moving to Montreal next week as an International student and Yes we intend to learn French and try our level best to assimilate in the culture.

How's the job scenario btw for english speaking job-seekers.

Cheers
mostly jobs are French based or bilingual, but i haven't seen a single posting with only english on quebec website for jobs after CSQ