+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Super Visa - extension - what are the steps

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hi,

My parents are visiting me for the 2nd time on Super Visa. This time they got permit for 6 months only. Last time they stayed around 1.5 yrs. They have a valid passport, valid visa for next few years so no issues there.

I will need to apply for their Super Visa extension, few questions if someone can help:
- how to apply for super visa extn? any process guidelines
- how early can I apply? their stay permit is till mid Dec, 2016
- is medical test required for super visa extn?
- anything else I need to know.

Thanks,

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hi,

They were back home from Apr, 2015 to Jun, 2016. More than 1 yr. They came here in Jun, 2016 for the 2nd time.

Thanks,

Another-Immigrant

Sep 13, 2014
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-09-2018
AOR Received.
03-12-2018
i got extension for my Mother's super visa. I believe it is extension to stay not extension to super visa

I got applied through my immigration consultant. I know it is lot of money they ask. I just gave my Job Letter and bank statement and Insurance policy for next year to consultant. No Medical is required. I have applied for extension 5- 6 months before. because my consultant said the time is around 120 days. But i got visa extension approval in 1 week. They applied online. Then they said, online is not much delay. Only by regular mail took long time. So i would say better to apply before.

Roah

Star Member
Feb 6, 2016
Alias said:
Hi,

My parents are visiting me for the 2nd time on Super Visa. This time they got permit for 6 months only. Last time they stayed around 1.5 yrs. They have a valid passport, valid visa for next few years so no issues there.

I will need to apply for their Super Visa extension, few questions if someone can help:
- how to apply for super visa extn? any process guidelines
- how early can I apply? their stay permit is till mid Dec, 2016
- is medical test required for super visa extn?
- anything else I need to know.

Thanks,
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5708E.pdf

This is the form... Or visit CIC Applications to Change Condition or Extend Your Stay in Canada as Visitor
The guidelines are there too.
You can apply at least 30 days before their current status expires
Medical test will be asked if they wish to extens for more than 6 months
And make sure their Medical/Health Insurance is still valid up until the end period of the time they wanted to remain in Canada... ( if thery want to stay until june 2017, must be valid after or on that Date )
Cover letter on why they want to extend and Letter from the sponsor ( the one who invited them here in Canada )

vibeth222

Apr 20, 2013
Roah said:
This is the form... Or visit CIC Applications to Change Condition or Extend Your Stay in Canada as Visitor
The guidelines are there too.
You can apply at least 30 days before their current status expires
Medical test will be asked if they wish to extens for more than 6 months
And make sure their Medical/Health Insurance is still valid up until the end period of the time they wanted to remain in Canada... ( if thery want to stay until june 2017, must be valid after or on that Date )
Cover letter on why they want to extend and Letter from the sponsor ( the one who invited them here in Canada )
I was able to read the responses in this thread and it's very infomative. My parents are here in Canada too under Super Visa. They were given a 2 year permit and we are also trying to extend their stay. I do have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to extend their stay for another 2 years? Their visa is still valid for 3 years.
2. With regards to the Medical/health insurance, would you know if they are required to have the $100,000 coverage for the time that they are here? Or can we give them a lower coverage (example $50,000) for a year (maximum insurance companies give).

Thanks so much in advance for your answers!

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hi,

Is there a medical insurance which will give coverage for more than 1 yr from the beginning. I went through 21st century (subsidiary unit of Manulife) and they give for 1 year only.

Thanks,

GMS

May 31, 2014
India
Visa Office......
New Delhi, India
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Hi,
I was trying to get link for online application for "extension to stay".. but I could not get anyhow.
Can you pls share the link if available with you..

Can you also provide name, contact details and fees for the immigration consultant..?

Rgds,
Gautam

Another-Immigrant said:
i got extension for my Mother's super visa. I believe it is extension to stay not extension to super visa

I got applied through my immigration consultant. I know it is lot of money they ask. I just gave my Job Letter and bank statement and Insurance policy for next year to consultant. No Medical is required. I have applied for extension 5- 6 months before. because my consultant said the time is around 120 days. But i got visa extension approval in 1 week. They applied online. Then they said, online is not much delay. Only by regular mail took long time. So i would say better to apply before.

ananthyog

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
I was able to read the responses in this thread and it's very infomative. My parents are here in Canada too under Super Visa. They were given a 2 year permit and we are also trying to extend their stay. I do have a few questions:
1. Is it possible to extend their stay for another 2 years? Their visa is still valid for 3 years.
2. With regards to the Medical/health insurance, would you know if they are required to have the $100,000 coverage for the time that they are here? Or can we give them a lower coverage (example $50,000) for a year (maximum insurance companies give).

Thanks so much in advance for your answers!
Hi Vibeth222,
Have you got extension of your parents for another year. can you please share your experience..thanks

ananthyog

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019

Hi Another-immigrant,
I am just wondering if you got 2yrs stamp initially to stay here and then you applied for another year of extension..> pls advice me

Another-Immigrant

Sep 13, 2014
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-09-2018
AOR Received.
03-12-2018
Hi Another-immigrant,
I am just wondering if you got 2yrs stamp initially to stay here and then you applied for another year of extension..> pls advice me
Lets start from begining

1. My mother applied for super visa form her original country
2. Mother got supervisa stamped with validity of 2 years because her passport was valid only for 2 years . Means she can re-enter Canada for 2 years

3. She entered in Canada and got allowed stayed for 2 years. Before end of 2 years while she was in Canada, I want her to stay more with me. So i had applied for EXTENSION of her STAY. She got extended her STAY for 2 more years. Please note that, that was extension of her STAY not the VISA. It was not a stamp on the passport. It was a separate letter/Paper from Immigration mentioned that she is allowed to Stay in Canada. Also mentioned that, no study and work allowed on this stay. I think also mentioned that, If She leaves Canada with in 2 year extension, She CAN NOT come back showing that paper. That paper was just a proof of extension of stay in Canada. That was NOT extension of Super Visa. So Super visa extensions and Extension of Stay in Canada are two different things

4. If you need Super Visa for more years, I think you have to reapply

ananthyog

Star Member
Feb 16, 2019
Lets start from begining

1. My mother applied for super visa form her original country
2. Mother got supervisa stamped with validity of 2 years because her passport was valid only for 2 years . Means she can re-enter Canada for 2 years

3. She entered in Canada and got allowed stayed for 2 years. Before end of 2 years while she was in Canada, I want her to stay more with me. So i had applied for EXTENSION of her STAY. She got extended her STAY for 2 more years. Please note that, that was extension of her STAY not the VISA. It was not a stamp on the passport. It was a separate letter/Paper from Immigration mentioned that she is allowed to Stay in Canada. Also mentioned that, no study and work allowed on this stay. I think also mentioned that, If She leaves Canada with in 2 year extension, She CAN NOT come back showing that paper. That paper was just a proof of extension of stay in Canada. That was NOT extension of Super Visa. So Super visa extensions and Extension of Stay in Canada are two different things

4. If you need Super Visa for more years, I think you have to reapply
Thanks a lot. My parents got super visa for 8 yrs and they got stamped for 2yrs on their 1st visit. Their 2yrs of stay going to be over in 3 months. I want to extend their stay. I think as you mentioned above I want to extend their stay. I am just wondering if we have to submit bank statement, letter of employment and 1 yr insurance policy only? have you submitted any covering letter? can you share the cover letter with me please if i share my email?
I am also wondering if you requested for 2 yr extension or 1 extension..I understood they gave u 2 yr extension. thanks

Another-Immigrant

Sep 13, 2014
Ontario
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
13-09-2018
AOR Received.
03-12-2018
Thanks a lot. My parents got super visa for 8 yrs and they got stamped for 2yrs on their 1st visit. Their 2yrs of stay going to be over in 3 months. I want to extend their stay. I think as you mentioned above I want to extend their stay. I am just wondering if we have to submit bank statement, letter of employment and 1 yr insurance policy only? have you submitted any covering letter? can you share the cover letter with me please if i share my email?
I am also wondering if you requested for 2 yr extension or 1 extension..I understood they gave u 2 yr extension. thanks
It was all done by my consultant around three years before now. Sorry no idea what he asked for. I would say, just follow the Instructions on the CIC website.

Also, I am not 100% sure. But heard people go to US stay there for 2 to 3 days or a week in a hotel. And come back to Canada to renter again. I know for this Your parents may need US visa. But would save the time to go back country of origin and come back.