+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successful visit and more...

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have just returned from a nice visit heklping out and attending my step-daughter's wedding in Alberta.

When I went through customs at YVR (Vancouver Airport), as usual, I had to be screened twice because of a customs official (in 2002)who felt that visiting someone who I met on-line was not a moral or acceptable reason to visit Canada. Because of this, I now have to present an unreasonable amout of documentation, and be screened twice, to prove that I am not some intrenet stalker and that I am now married to the lady who I planned to visit in 2002.

During the 2nd screening, the Officer who initially saw me, took my documentation and went to a back room. Another officer appeared from the room and it was an Officer who let me in on a previous visit. He told me "no problem", stamped my passport, and wished me well in my PR application. I then asked him about possibly removing the flag that makes me get a 2nd screening, and he told me that it would be possible that only a VO could remiove the flag when I recive my PR card - but he is not sure that this would be a guarantee. But, as he told me, "Since you have visited many times without incident, and got married to boot, I would take it off now, if I could, but I do not have that ultimate authority"

I hope to have the same goodwill the next time I visit - in January for another wedding of a 2nd step-daughter :)

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I have the same question. Before marrying my husband he visited 3 times and every time he was screened. We are married now and I sponsored him which it was approved last month. We are planning to come back together sometimes in the month of November. In your opinion do you believe they will screen him again.

Thanks

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
maybe we should ask IO/MD...he seems to have a handle on such things. Personally, once you are 'flagged', only an act of a real and physical God can change that status (or so an angry IO over the phone told me)

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Marlena, he will be LANDING when you enter in November. Different process done by CBSA. So in effect, yes, he will be screened but to LAND. About further travels after that, I don't know but he will have his PR card to show by then.

I

ImmOfficer

Eric, I am willing to bet that you were turned around at a land border! Unless of course there is more to your story.

Marlena, As a foreign national, he has no right of entry into Canada, and as a result is subject to secondary Immigration exams. He may be screened in secondary again. As a PR, it is unlikely to happen unless he is subject of a lookout or needs his residency obligation assessed.

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
I/O Please can u kindly provide me an explanation what u meant by he has no right of entry into Canada when he was granted a visitor visa but probably the fact he was honest enough declaring a bit over $10k which it was considered a lot for the IO especially when he visits was only for 3 months.
OR
The other possibility he was staying with me during his visit and they wanted to make sure he is not overstaying
OR
They were simply questioning the relationship at the time since I didn't say our intention to get married or even he was my bf. I wouldn't announce it unless it happened. What upsets me the most they searched him like crazy, they even looked at every picture he has and asking him to provide names which btw it was so obvious it was me lol!!!
My other question in your opinion do you believe he will be screened all the time even when he LAND as a PR in November?? Is there a way of fixing this problem.

Your opinion in this matter is highly appreciated!

Ssarah183

Star Member
Jun 5, 2009
I'm not an I/O but if you are not Canadian or do not have PR then they will often make you go through a second thing with immigration, I had to to get into Canada. He will almost certainly have to go through it with them again when he lands, that is the nature of 'landing' in Canada or any country!

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Honestly I don't mind if he go through it again but hopefully not every time he enters or leaves Canada even as a PR. I've read somewhere else whenever you are flagged it stays on your file forever which in my opinion it's not right!!!

I

ImmOfficer

He has no "right" to enter Canada because he is not a Canadian Citizen or PR.

If an enforcement action was taken against him, then he will be flagged until he becomes a Canadian Citizen. If a watch for was posted on him, then it will expire.

mud504@yahoo

Oct 20, 2008
Indiana
Eric Parker said:
When I went through customs at YVR (Vancouver Airport), as usual, I had to be screened twice because of a customs official (in 2002)who felt that visiting someone who I met on-line was not a moral or acceptable reason to visit Canada
I had that same problem on my first trip up there, but that is the only time I encountered it. At that time I didn't think of it as a big deal me visiting there. I'm guessing because I'm from the states is why it was hard for me to acknowledge Canada as a seperate country. But its understandable to me now. Now they just kinda give me a funny look when they say how did you meet your husband and I tell them the internet (US border more then Canada).