+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Successful Landing and Return to USA Same day using AVR - 8/01/2020 - Peace Bridge Buffalo, NY

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hello Guys,

Here is my landing experience

Landing date : 08/01/2020
Port of entry : Peace Bridge Buffalo - Fort Erie
US Status : Expired H1-B visa and change of employer, My wife had valid visa

Canada border:
Officer at the initial entry point asked why we were entering Canada today.
We responded that we are here for completing our landing and intending to make a U turn after completing the process
His response was why do you need to do that during this pandemic situation? We responded, since our COPR is about to expire and pandemic is not going away anytime soon we are doing our landing before its expiry.

He gave a nod and asked us to proceed to the building to complete the formalities

We handed off all the documents to the agent and he asked the same question if we are moving in permanently or just landing.
We confirmed that we are here to do the landing and returning to US.
Agent agreed and requested for the address to deliver PR card and confirmed with us that someone will acknowledge the mail and accept the card on our behalf.
Also he informed that since I am only landing today and not moving as a settler he won't get any Good to Follow List. When we are moving in permanently and stay in Canada at least for a year, we can get the goods with tax empt and that should not be an issue. We agreed and completed rest of the formalities.

I also read a thread that its the right way to give GTF only when you were landing permanently. So I believe the officer was right :)
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada - @NerdNinjaMan thanks for this!

US border:
We handed off passports along with my I797 and attached I-94 to the agent .
The agent was asking about our trip and was curious about Canada PR process as well. We gave him little bit info on that.
He then informed us that I would get an paper I-94 since there is no visa on my passport.
We were directed to park our car on a spot and after 15 mins, I was called by the agent to the office and he issued me paper I-94.(Some of them dont get this updated I-94 and I guess thats fine as well since the exit and entry would be on the same day)
Since my wife had valid visa, no changes or stamping was done on her passport.

Overall on both sides, we didn't face any issues and was able to complete the intended process and get back to business.

Hope this helps if anyone in the same situation is looking to travel in this situation.

I will happy to help if any one have any questions.

Last edited:

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Hello Guys,

Canada border:
We responded that we are here for completing our landing and intending to make a U turn after completing the process
His response was why do you need to do that during this pandemic situation? We responded, since our COPR is about to expire and pandemic is not going away anytime soon we are doing our landing before its expiry.

He gave a nod and asked us to proceed to the building to complete the formalities

We handed off all the documents to the agent and he asked the same question if we are moving in permanently or just landing.
Agent agreed and requested for the address to deliver PR card and confirmed with us that someone will acknowledge the mail and accept the card on our behalf.
Also he informed that since I am only landing today and not moving as a settler he won't get any Good to Follow List. When we are moving in permanently and stay in Canada at least for a year, we can get the goods with tax empt and that should not be an issue. We agreed and completed rest of the formalities.

I also read a thread that its the right way to give GTF only when you were landing permanently. So I believe the officer was right :)
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Landing_as_PR-Canada - @NerdNinjaMan thanks for this!

US border:
The agent was asking about our trip and was curious about Canada PR process as well. We gave him little bit info on that.
He then informed us that I would get an paper I-94 since there is no visa on my passport.
We were directed to park our car on a spot and after 15 mins, I was called by the agent to the office and he issued me paper I-94.(Some of them dont get this updated I-94 and I guess thats fine as well since the exit and entry would be on the same day)

Overall on both sides, we didn't face any issues and was able to complete the intended process and get back to business.

Hope this helps if anyone in the same situation is looking to travel in this situation.

Congratulations!

Reactions: praveen07cse

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
was your AOR July 2018 ??
;-) yes. you are right. My official journey started on July 2018 with just 3 members on the family. When it completed now in Aug 2020 I had my little one added to the application as well. LOL

I got approval on Feb 2020. In the mean time I had to redo my medicals since it has already expired.
There was no reason why my application took longer than usual. It was not security as well since I confirmed with the agents multiple times and it was not due to the baby addition too. I added him only on Sep 2019.

But finally everything is now done and I am hoping to make my permanent move sooner.

Thanks for taking me back on my PR journey :-D

Reactions: guca and S Kennedy

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Hello Guys,

Canada border:

US border:

Hello,
Congrats Praveen. Thanks for sharing the info and glad to know that the whole process was smooth. I am in the same situation like you hoping to return using AVR the same day. Can you please help answering a fewof ques below:

1. Can you please tell me the documents required for PR Soft landing at Canadian side of peace bridge?
2. Do we need any other documents apart from Passport (with expired visa), I797 to return USA using AVR ?
3. I have heard that PR landing process happens on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Can you please confirm that we can go for soft landing on any day of the week?
4. Did you drive your own car? if so, do we need to carry any specific documents related to the car?
5. Did you made arrangements for a 14 day Quarantine? if so, did you book a hotel or Airbnb?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Sam

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hello,
Congrats Praveen. Thanks for sharing the info and glad to know that the whole process was smooth. I am in the same situation like you hoping to return using AVR the same day. Can you please help answering a fewof ques below:

1. Can you please tell me the documents required for PR Soft landing at Canadian side of peace bridge?
2. Do we need any other documents apart from Passport (with expired visa), I797 to return USA using AVR ?
3. I have heard that PR landing process happens on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Can you please confirm that we can go for soft landing on any day of the week?
4. Did you drive your own car? if so, do we need to carry any specific documents related to the car?
5. Did you made arrangements for a 14 day Quarantine? if so, did you book a hotel or Airbnb?

Appreciate your response.

Thanks
Sam
I have answered the same questions on a earlier thread as well :)

1. COPR, Passport, Proof of funds. GTF is not needed. Take it just in case if needed
2. That should do. Try to get employment letter (not mandatory) . Just incase if they request and we can prove that we are still employed and in continuous job. Also have hand outs of AVR info. Do not show them until they are not letting you in with AVR
3.Its any day. We did on Saturday
4. Yes, I was in my own car. If you are entering Canada, they might request for import of the car. If just the landing, you should be okay
5. I had a relative in Canada, so planned for quarantine in their home basement. But if you need to go, its advisable to have confirmed booking. Hotel will be okay if you are single. Airbnb is suited for family.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Reactions: sam 1234

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
I have answered the same questions on a earlier thread as well :)

1. COPR, Passport, Proof of funds. GTF is not needed. Take it just in case if needed
2. That should do. Try to get employment letter (not mandatory) . Just incase if they request and we can prove that we are still employed and in continuous job. Also have hand outs of AVR info. Do not show them until they are not letting you in with AVR
3.Its any day. We did on Saturday
4. Yes, I was in my own car. If you are entering Canada, they might request for import of the car. If just the landing, you should be okay
5. I had a relative in Canada, so planned for quarantine in their home basement. But if you need to go, its advisable to have confirmed booking. Hotel will be okay if you are single. Airbnb is suited for family.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Thanks a lot Praveen for the prompt response.
Just realized a couple of questions:
Can you please tell me what is the minimum amount of cashiers check needed for Proof of Funds?
My spouse is in H4 visa and we applied to PR together. IS AVR applicable for h4 visa holders too?
if I have to travel alone for the PR landing . Does it raise any question in the CBSA as to why my partner did not travel with me ?

Last edited:

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Reactions: sam 1234