+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

studying public health or health administration after psychology-would my visa get denied

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,
as i heard from some people on the internet, student visa applications might get refusals if the chosen master program is different from the bachelor's. However, i think public health is related to psychology since they both are about well-being and health. Also, public health programs take students from social science departments and psychology is under one of them. What do you guys think? is it too risky? I do not want to stay in research so i feel like counselling or public health programs are better for me
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,
as i heard from some people on the internet, student visa applications might get refusals if the chosen master program is different from the bachelor's. However, i think public health is related to psychology since they both are about well-being and health. Also, public health programs take students from social science departments and psychology is under one of them. What do you guys think? is it too risky? I do not want to stay in research so i feel like counselling or public health programs are better for me
Thanks
Getting a job in public health is usually very difficult. A lot of the jobs go to nurses but n general there are a lot more graduates than jobs. Assume the the pandemic might prevent more cuts to public health but unless you really want to work in public health I would consider another degree. Would add that many jobs after a masters in public health involve research.

Reactions: Urgonnabeokme

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Getting a job in public health is usually very difficult. A lot of the jobs go to nurses but n general there are a lot more graduates than jobs. Assume the the pandemic might prevent more cuts to public health but unless you really want to work in public health I would consider another degree. Would add that many jobs after a masters in public health involve research.
I thought the health sector would have great job opportunities, most people i have spoken to told me that technical and health fields are always in demand
:( . So what would you recommend to me after studying bachelors in Psychological science?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought the health sector would have great job opportunities, most people i have spoken to told me that technical and health fields are always in demand
:( . So what would you recommend to me after studying bachelors in Psychological science?
Not all health fields are in demand many aren't actually off the top of my head pharmacists and dentists aren't in demand. Would suggest looking into being a psychologist or other ways to provide counselling. Many counselling services aren't covered under provincial healthcare so many jobs are private practice. Would suggest reaching out to people in the field if you want more information. Not my life so you need to consider what you'd be happy doing.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Not all health fields are in demand many aren't actually off the top of my head pharmacists and dentists aren't in demand. Would suggest looking into being a psychologist or other ways to provide counselling. Many counselling services aren't covered under provincial healthcare so many jobs are private practice. Would suggest reaching out to people in the field if you want more information. Not my life so you need to consider what you'd be happy doing.
okay cool, there are some master programs such as counseling psychology and school counseling do you think there are more job options in counseling? especially at schools?

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
also i have heard that occupational therapists are in demand too, how true is that

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
also i have heard that occupational therapists are in demand too, how true is that
You will need to do some research and talk to people in the profession. Not sure about whether mists schools offer counselling and whether they are social workers who do counselling. Every province and school board is likely different.

Reactions: Urgonnabeokme