+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

studying psychology

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Hello,
does any of you know the route to be a clinical psychologist?
do I need a PhD? can I work at nursing facilities or orphanages as a psychologist w/o PhD?
thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Are you in Canada and studying now? You mention orphanages so this would not be in Canada. You need to be licensed in the province you are practicinb. Yes you need your PhD. Saskatchewan may only require Masters but do you live there and you need to be licensed in the province.

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
Are you in Canada and studying now? You mention orphanages so this would not be in Canada. You need to be licensed in the province you are practicinb. Yes you need your PhD. Saskatchewan may only require Masters but do you live there and you need to be licensed in the province.
ıdk what do you mean by licensed in the province. What do I need to get licensed? i do not study there atm but I am thinking about doing my masters in clinical psy in Canada (if the PhD is not necessary)

note: some countries offer free PhDs, is it the same situation for Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
ıdk what do you mean by licensed in the province. What do I need to get licensed? i do not study there atm but I am thinking about doing my masters in clinical psy in Canada (if the PhD is not necessary)

There are no free PhDs. It is a licensed profession so you need a license to practice in the province you are living in.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree. My friend is in BC, she worked for the school board and has a PhD. But I think she started this job when she was working on her PhD.
But I don't think that's considered as clinical .

Never heard of free PhD degree in Canada. (At lesat not "directly" free) Some European countries offer free education. May be you can look into those.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

You need to run a google search for the licensing requirements of the provinces where you may consider living. You need a license to work in this field in Canada. Each province manages its own licensing requirements and there can be differences between each.

PhDs are not free. Sometimes it's possible to receive funding or have some / all of your tuition covered through being a Teaching Assistance. You'll need to contact the schools you are thinking of attending to see what funding may be available through that particular school (this will vary from school to school and program to program and also obviously depend on your background).

If you're really set on coming to Canada, there's really no shortcut to dedicating significant time to researching these things on your own. Unfortunately this does take quite a bit of work if you are serious about your plans. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturgrl

Urgonnabeokme

Sep 20, 2020
There are no free PhDs. It is a licensed profession so you need a license to practice in the province you are living in.
which qualifications should i have to be licensed? and where can i find information regarding this?
does Canada have an organization for psychologists? maybe they can help
thanks

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
which qualifications should i have to be licensed? and where can i find information regarding this?
does Canada have an organization for psychologists? maybe they can help
thanks
Yes Google by Province and then Pyschology Association. The association will have the licensing requirements. All on Google. Not sure how they can help you because all the information is on their sites. You need to do your own research.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes Google by Province and then Pyschology Association. The association will have the licensing requirements. All on Google. Not sure how they can help you because all the information is on their sites. You need to do your own research.
Would google licensing for clinical psychologist, licensing for psychotherapists, licensing for social workers and what type of therapy you can do as a social worker, etc.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Would google licensing for clinical psychologist, licensing for psychotherapists, licensing for social workers and what type of therapy you can do as a social worker, etc.
Canadian Psychological Association website gives a very high level information about the education path of becoming a psychologist:

https://cpa.ca/students/career/becomingapsychologist/

Here is just a short list of the 3 popular provinces and they may not be the most accurate current body:

https://www.psych.on.ca/About-Psychology/Careers-in-psychology
https://collegeofpsychologists.bc.ca/applicants/
https://www.cap.ab.ca/register-as-br-a-psychologist

Btw if you haven't even started your bachelor's degree, this is a long way. You need to be passionate with the subject to pursue this career.