NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
Included with application
IELTS Request
Over all 7.5 (Included with application)
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
I am planning to apply for study permit from USA.
I am the principal applicant.
My wife will accompany me to canada.
How much fee do I need to pay (1 person or 2 persons).

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Study permit for you is $125. Open Work Permit for spouse (if she wants one) is $150. If one or both of you is not citizen of a visa-exempt nation, then your TRV will run you $75 apiece ($150 each if you opt for multiple entry TRVs.)

Application fees for international students usually run anywhere from $150 to $350, depending on the school.

Of course these fees do not include the cost of tuition and living expenses. Once you've been accepted into a program by a school, you'll have to prepay the tuition and fee for the first term (ca. $5000). You'll also need to show proof of financial support for living expenses for you and spouse ($10,000 for you and an additional $4,000 for your spouse) and that you have funds to pay the balance of tuition fees for the remainder of the first year of study.

Note: If you're thinking about Quebec, then the financial support amounts are $11,000 for you and $5,100 for spouse (assuming she's older than 18) :D

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App, what part of the country are you looking to attend school in? If you're thinking of the Vancouver area, I can tell you with confidence that $15,000 financial support amount for you and your spouse won't come even remotely close to being sufficient for this area. It might cover the cost of housing, but that would be about it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the cost of living here is extremely expensive. I'm a student here myself.

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Thank u for both the replies

I actually got accepted to a certification program at uni of calgary.
1 yr duration and part time.
I have earlier applied for PR that was sent back stating that the NOC codes were changed and my NOC is not applicable for PR.
What r the chances of my Visa and my wife

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Keep in mind that if you're hoping to use this one-year part time program as a stepping stone to a post-grad open work permit, it won't work. Only full time studies will get you an PGOWP. Additionally, your spouse will NOT be eleigible for an open work permit either unless you attend school full time.

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Yeah Thank u
I will keep that in mind.
I am actually hoping for a full time study starting from Sep, 2011.
I will be running out of my staus in USA from Dec, 2010.
What about the chances of study permit for part time 1 yr program with earlier application to Permanent Resident to Canada.
Any idea.
Please advice.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only way for study in Canada to lead to permanent residence is via CEC or PNP. Under this program, you must attend in a FULLTIME STATUS for two years, afetr which you can apply for a 3-year post grad open work permit. If you subsequently complete one year of FFULLTIME work in a SKILLED position, you'll be eligible for PR ounder federal CEC program. In BC (and possible other provinces as well) you only need have a FULLTIME permanent job offer after schoolong to apply for PR under their PNP program. You can check the deatails art CIC web site.

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi totally confused at this point of time.
I found out that if I apply for study permit, I need not apply for temporary resident visa.
I am also including my wife (accompanying me to Canada) in the study permit form.
Can any one give me clear idea of the procedure for study permit and temporary resident visa.

Thanks

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Whether or not a TRV is required (in addition to the Study Permit) is dependent on your citizenship and/or country residence. As you have never specified your nationality (nor your spouse's), I listed all possible fees you might be hit with. If you are a citizen of a visa-exempt nation, then you need only a study permit. If you are not visa exempt, you don't have to apply for a TRV separately from the study permit ... both can be accomplished on the same application. One correction from my earlier post: if you fall into this category (i.e., need both a TRV and a study poermit) you do NOT need to pay the fees for both. The $125 application fee covers both. If you want your spouse to come with you to Canada while you attend school, she can be added to your application. If she travels separately from you and joins you in Canada at a later date, then she must file for a TRV separately (on her own application) and pay the TRV application fee, unless she's from a visa-exempt nation. In either case, if you want an open work permit for your spouse, you/she will need to pay the fee for the work permit as well.

A few other related points that may or may not apply to your specific situation:

1. If you're not a citizen of the country from which you apply for a study permit, then you MUST have current and legal status within that country at the time you request a study permit.
2. You can't get a study permit (or even sumit an application for one) until you have applied to and been accepted by a school in Canada. Once you've been accepted and have paid for the first term, the school will issue you an acceptance letter that details the program of study, start date of the program, duration of the program, and the fact that you've paid for the first term tuition. Without this letter in hand, you CANNOT obtain a study permit.

Best of luck!

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
That is very helpful information to me.
Me and my wife are from India.
We are currently in USA.
My F1 visa expired on Dec 5, 2010.
My I 20 (study permit) expires by the end of this month.
Likely to extend one more semester (April,2011).
I already got acceptance letter to my e mail.
With this can you guide further.

Thanks a lot...

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App,
I'm not totally familiar with U.S. immigration law, but I believe you may have waited a little too long start the process for Canadian study permit. Of the I-20 and F-1, the F-1 is by far the more important. The I-20 is simply a form that the school provides to you that U.S. immigration uses to verify your school status. Essentially, they issue the F-1 based on the info on the form I-20. As you know, the F1 is the actual Study permit which makes you legal in the U.S., not the I-20.

Because your F-1 has expired, you are now out of status in the U.S. As I mentioned in my previous post, this means you cannot apply for a Canadian study permit (at least not from within the U.S.) as legal status is a must. Unless you can find a way to extend the validity/expiration of your U.S. visa/study permit, the only way yu'll be able to apply for a Canadian permit is by going back to India first and applying from there.

Best of luck.

ayns

Star Member
Dec 14, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
02-08-2017
Doc's Request.
18-09-2017
AOR Received.
18-09-2017
File Transfer...
06-10-2017
Med's Request
21-09-2017
Med's Done....
29-09-2017
NeedleArtist said:
A few other related points that may or may not apply to your specific situation:

1. If you're not a citizen of the country from which you apply for a study permit, then you MUST have current and legal status within that country at the time you request a study permit.
2. You can't get a study permit (or even sumit an application for one) until you have applied to and been accepted by a school in Canada. Once you've been accepted and have paid for the first term, the school will issue you an acceptance letter that details the program of study, start date of the program, duration of the program, and the fact that you've paid for the first term tuition. Without this letter in hand, you CANNOT obtain a study permit.
I am currently waiting for my acceptance letter from the mail (I have been accepted to a school in Canada) before I can apply for my study permit. Do you mean that I need to pay for my tuition first before I get my acceptance letter? Does this also apply to their government schools (BCIT to be exact)?

Thanks in advance.

NeedleArtist

Star Member
Oct 9, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ayns said:
I am currently waiting for my acceptance letter from the mail (I have been accepted to a school in Canada) before I can apply for my study permit. Do you mean that I need to pay for my tuition first before I get my acceptance letter? Does this also apply to their government schools (BCIT to be exact)?

Thanks in advance.
I attend Langara College in Vancouver, which is a public school like BCIT. I actually looked into BCIT as well when I was deciding which school to attend. The tuition prepayment requirement varies from school to school, but I can tell you that Langara College requires (for a student's first term at the school only) a deposit of $5,000. Up until a few years ago, this amount would have been sufficient to pay for the first term in full, but then a substantial tuition and fee increase kicked in. Vurrently, tuition runs around $500 per credit ($1500 per course). If you take a 3 course load, which is the bare minimum requirement to meet fulltime status, it'll be enough, but only just. Anyway, the $5,000 is refundable ONLY if the student is subsequently rejected for a study permit. Any other reason (change of heart, for example) results in complete forfeiture.

I cant be 100% certain, but I believe what you are currently waiting for is an OFFER letter. The letter will basically state that you've been ACADEMICALLY accepted to BCIT, pending receipt of a $5000 commitment deposit (or whichever amount BCIT has set). Once you pay THAT amount, you'll actually receive a formal letter of acceptance. This letter will state that you've prepaid XXX amount, and this is the letter you'll need in order to obtain your actual study permit. If you're a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S., then its simply a matter of taking the letter, proof of funds and passport to the nearest border crossing, paying the fee, and driving off with the permit 15 minutes later. No medicals or police checks required.

Best of luck in your endeavors.

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Dear Needle artist,

The information you provided was very valuable and helpful to me.
MY visa expired on Dec 5, 2010.
I am on legal I20 (study permit) that expires April, 2011.
One of my friend suggested that I can apply for Canada study permit from US to CIC Delhi (India my home country).
What do you suggest.

Thankyou

App

Star Member
Dec 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-03-2011
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
File Transfer...
not yet
Med's Request
not yet
Med's Done....
not yet
Interview........
not yet
Passport Req..
not yet
VISA ISSUED...
not yet
LANDED..........
not yet
Hi Ayns,

I am new to this study permit process.
In my case, it was an part time certification course.
I did not pay any fee before I get my acceptance letter.
All I paid was the application fee.