+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension Processing Time

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Dear all, I am In a serious need of help here and all of those who have had the same experience can surely help me out.. so I was issued a study permit for my second course up to my course duration. My study just got completed on 23 April 2022 and my grades will be releasing on the 29 April 2022 and my study permit will be expiring on 1 May 2022. I had also applied for an extension of study permit (bridging study permit) last year December asking for extra 90 days. but I still haven't got any decision on that and I have absolutely no idea when ill get my study permit extended as I'm in a serious need of it as my current status is expiring in a week ....Now to avoid getting into implied status I'm trying to apply for my PGWP application before 1 may which is the last valid date of my study permit. So my question is that will I be able to stay and work in Canada until a decision has been made on my PGWP.

Shagun18

Apr 20, 2022
Dear all, I am In a serious need of help here and all of those who have had the same experience can surely help me out.. so I was issued a study permit for my second course up to my course duration. My study just got completed on 23 April 2022 and my grades will be releasing on the 29 April 2022 and my study permit will be expiring on 1 May 2022. I had also applied for an extension of study permit (bridging study permit) last year December asking for extra 90 days. but I still haven't got any decision on that and I have absolutely no idea when ill get my study permit extended as I'm in a serious need of it as my current status is expiring in a week ....Now to avoid getting into implied status I'm trying to apply for my PGWP application before 1 may which is the last valid date of my study permit. So my question is that will I be able to stay and work in Canada until a decision has been made on my PGWP.
Hey! My study permit expired March 31st and I had applied for study permit extension Jan 14.
From what I heard you can not work right away if you apply on maintained / implied status. You will
have to wait for work visa to be processed if you want to work.
If you apply before your study permit expires like you said, you can work full time right away. You should check IRCC, website for more accurate details. Try calling immigration consultants (usually they don’t charge if you just ask if you can apply or not), or your school international student service.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181#:~:text=You can work full-time,campus without a permit, and

Shagun18

Apr 20, 2022
I’m talking to a lawyer on Tuesday about a writ of mandamus because if I don’t get my new permits I will be denied my J1 visa to the states. If that happens and I lose my internship in the US I will sue ircc and file a claim for 40K as that would be my missed income for 4 months because of the incompetence of Ircc
Did you end up talking to the lawyer? I am in a similar position:(

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
Hey! My study permit expired March 31st and I had applied for study permit extension Jan 14.
From what I heard you can not work right away if you apply on maintained / implied status. You will
have to wait for work visa to be processed if you want to work.
If you apply before your study permit expires like you said, you can work full time right away. You should check IRCC, website for more accurate details. Try calling immigration consultants (usually they don’t charge if you just ask if you can apply or not), or your school international student service.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181#:~:text=You can work full-time,campus without a permit, and
I'll have to apply for my PGWP before my current study permit expires (May 01 2022) to work in Canada.. as after May 01 I'll be under maintained status where as my current study permit expires and my study permit extension is still under process.

Reactions: Shagun18

tommdarin

Apr 30, 2022
Hi there,

I applied for a study permit extension three months ago. Unfortunately, I still have not received any update from IRCC. I also contacted IRCC via a webform and asked them for an update, but I have received nothing.

When I was applying for the study permit extension, I remember that I did not upload any transcript; instead, I uploaded the university letter of enrollment and a letter from the department and also a letter from my supervisor saying that I am registered as a full-time student, and I need two more years to graduate. Do you recommend me to to contact IRCC again via webform and send them my unofficial transcript?

Yash1995

Apr 13, 2020
My study permit extension has been approved, I applied 12th of January.
Hey yes I also had my sp extension approved on Saturday May 06 and I had also applied on January 12. It took 24 hours to get the message in which I had a inland approval document

progga

May 11, 2022
So it means you applied for PGWP while you were on implied status? I've heard that in such case you cannot work until you get your PGWP approved. Is this true? I am asking as I am on the same boat. Applied for my SP extension in Dec and graduated while waiting for that. Now wonder if I can apply for PGWP while I am on implied status (waiting for SP extension)?
Did you get ur study permit extension yet

SKant

Star Member
Apr 16, 2022
Is anyone facing problems with the IRCC portal
I am getting this error since 3 days: https://ibb.co/hMyTmrw

I emptied my cache/cookies etc but nothing works. As always they arent really helpful on twitter.

kj1234

Oct 24, 2022
Hi all, I have a few questions. My current study permit expired on 31st December 2022 and I just applied to extend it because I need to complete my thesis and I might not be done till January 2023. I attached my acceptance letter, attestation letter as well as a letter from my supervisor (who is also the graduate program director of my department). As part of financial support, I have paid all my fees for the program except the fees for the winter 2023 semester which is about cad$500; I also attached the proof of payment receipt.
The problem is that when I was filling out the forms and they asked how much I had for my studies (tuition and accommodation) I wasn't sure of the amount to put because I am done paying for everything and I just have about $500 left. I ended up putting the whole amount for the program (I explained this in my LOE) which is about $34000 but the money in the bank statement I submitted might not be up to that amount because the exchange rate in my country of origin fluctuates a lot and is not consistent at all. do you think this will be a problem with extending the study permit?

Manaa

Star Member
Nov 30, 2018
If they take too long to approve the extension, what happen to the student? Does the student have to leave Canada? can the student work till they get the extension approved? A reply highly appreciated.

Reactions: jjj123545