+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit extension after certificate course.

hgfedcba

Jan 3, 2017
Hello, I'm an international student.
I've taken a one-year pathway course(certificate) in a college and I have a plan to take another two-year course(diploma) which starts in Aug in another college.
My course will end on April 29 but the expiry date of my study permit was approved with the same period of my course(April 29 / I can't really understand why).

My question is below.

1. Which is correct? apply for the extension of study permit? or apply for a new study permit?
2. If an extension of study permit, is it risky to apply for a study permit on a program that starts in Aug just before my study permit expires under implied status?
(Current course ends on April 29 / My study permit expiry date is April 29 / New program starts in Aug)

I am very stressful about this. Please help me and thanks ahead.

steyn007

Star Member
Mar 12, 2015
You can apply for an extension, usually recommended 30 days before expiry.(I have done 25 days before expiry, still no issues).
You should apply for an extension before expiry of your study permit and can do whatever u want within the conditions of your study permit, even if you go into an implied status, I.e when you wait for new permit. :)

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

hgfedcba said:
Hello, I'm an international student.
I've taken a one-year pathway course(certificate) in a college and I have a plan to take another two-year course(diploma) which starts in Aug in another college.
My course will end on April 29 but the expiry date of my study permit was approved with the same period of my course(April 29 / I can't really understand why).

My question is below.

1. Which is correct? apply for the extension of study permit? or apply for a new study permit?
2. If an extension of study permit, is it risky to apply for a study permit on a program that starts in Aug just before my study permit expires under implied status?
(Current course ends on April 29 / My study permit expiry date is April 29 / New program starts in Aug)

I am very stressful about this. Please help me and thanks ahead.

1. Apply for an extension.
2. You can apply maximum 3 months in advance.

hgfedcba

Jan 3, 2017
J5M said:
Hi,

1. Apply for an extension.
2. You can apply maximum 3 months in advance.
Thanks for your reply.
But my problem is that the vacancy is longer than 90 days.
The expiry date is April 28 and the start date of new program is on Sep.
Is it okay to apply for extension of study permit 4 months ahead?