+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit and Spouse Open Work Permit applied at the same time

David417

Member
Jun 27, 2015
11
0
Dear all,
I just applied for an Open Work Permit for my wife along with my study permit application for full time international student (PhD program). I have some questions:
1. Will we receive the final decision for both application at the same time or not? If we will get the final decision at the same time, so the processing time will follow the processing time of the Study Permit (two months) or of the OPen Work Permit (5 month) ?
2. Is there anyone who got approve for your study permit but got refuse for your spouse OPW?

Many thanks for your time!
 

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
78,100
13,854
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) It's possible you may not receive the decisions at the same time. The OWP processing time should be similar to the Study Permit processing time.
2) Yes - definitely.
 

David417

Member
Jun 27, 2015
11
0
Thank Scylla,
I saw in CIC website that the processing time for Study Permit is around 7-9 weeks but for the OPW it will takes around 5-6 months.
 

excitedme

Hero Member
Apr 15, 2015
504
107
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
David417 said:
Dear all,
I just applied for an Open Work Permit for my wife along with my study permit application for full time international student (PhD program). I have some questions:
1. Will we receive the final decision for both application at the same time or not? If we will get the final decision at the same time, so the processing time will follow the processing time of the Study Permit (two months) or of the OPen Work Permit (5 month) ?
2. Is there anyone who got approve for your study permit but got refuse for your spouse OPW?

Many thanks for your time!
You will receive the decision at the same time if you applied together. My husband, baby and I applied together and we got the medical request together and got our visas together.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Souni

David417

Member
Jun 27, 2015
11
0
Hi Excitedme,
Thank you for your feedback.
In my case, I am in Canada now and my study permit (Master's program) is going to expire and I'm applying for a new study permit (PhD program). I am applying my spouse OPW together in my application. She is now outside Canada. When applying for the OPW, we did not select the option for some special job ( Hospital, caregiver...) so She didn't need to have the medical test.
Hope we will have the result together even approved or refused :D
Thanks again!
 

David417

Member
Jun 27, 2015
11
0
excitedme said:
You will receive the decision at the same time if you applied together. My husband, baby and I applied together and we got the medical request together and got our visas together.
Hi Excitedme,
How was your processing time? will it follow the OPW processing time or follow the Study permit processing time?
Thanks!
 

excitedme

Hero Member
Apr 15, 2015
504
107
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
David417 said:
Hi Excitedme,
How was your processing time? will it follow the OPW processing time or follow the Study permit processing time?
Thanks!
It followed niether. The average time for study permit is 8weeks, OWP is 2 months and trv is 23days. But after 5 weeks we got medical request and 3days after medicals,we got our visas
 
  • Like
Reactions: Souni

David417

Member
Jun 27, 2015
11
0
excitedme said:
It followed niether. The average time for study permit is 8weeks, OWP is 2 months and trv is 23days. But after 5 weeks we got medical request and 3days after medicals,we got our visas
Many thanks Excitedme!
 

python143

Full Member
Jun 20, 2015
22
1
hi there,

I also applied for my student permit and SOWP on 29th june online.
Please keep me updated about your application status and I will do mine.

Thanks
 

omolola

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
90
20
Please help I applied for PGWP AND spouse work permit together is that OK using online application. My study permit will expired November 2015, or just do visitor visa . Please help
 

hesy

Newbie
Aug 22, 2015
8
1
That's super interesting that excitedme could get her visa in that fast process. May I know from which office you applied?

I submitted my online application 1st of June (My wife applied for study permit and I for OWP). Singapore is my visa office.

We got few updates on first and second weeks and no updates then after that.

According to CIC website it takes around 9 weeks for Singapore office to process the application while this is my 13th week and I have no update So far.

On week 10 we sent an email to ask about the progress of our app. Although they didn't reply on our mail, they sent another email on week 11 and asked CV of my wife. We sent them and then again no update after that.

So my question is, is this long normal? Do you know what about others (a friend/family if you have or know) that got their visa from singapore office before? If yes how long it took to them to get visa.
 

excitedme

Hero Member
Apr 15, 2015
504
107
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
02-02-2018
hesy said:
That's super interesting that excitedme could get her visa in that fast process. May I know from which office you applied?

I submitted my online application 1st of June (My wife applied for study permit and I for OWP). Singapore is my visa office.

We got few updates on first and second weeks and no updates then after that.

According to CIC website it takes around 9 weeks for Singapore office to process the application while this is my 13th week and I have no update So far.

On week 10 we sent an email to ask about the progress of our app. Although they didn't reply on our mail, they sent another email on week 11 and asked CV of my wife. We sent them and then again no update after that.

So my question is, is this long normal? Do you know what about others (a friend/family if you have or know) that got their visa from singapore office before? If yes how long it took to them to get visa.
Hi Hesy,

My family and I applied in May from the accra visa office. It usually takes 8 weeks to process but ours got processed in six weeks. I know that rejections happens faster, so if it's taking long it's probably a good sign.

All the best.
 

musekeeh

Newbie
Oct 5, 2015
5
0
Hi David417

I am so glad I found your post. We have a similar situation I guess. I just have a question for you and I hope you can help me.

Did you apply for both your study permit and spouse Work permit online while you are in Canada?

Or your spouse sent her application separately?

I am just a little freaked out because I did apply online both for me and spouse. I am already here in Canada and my spouse is in the Philippines. I have been approved for the study permit but when I called the cic call centre the lady told my spouse should have applied in the visa centre in the Philippines. So now I'm confused that I may have processed the application the wrong way. No update yet for spouse application and it is passed the processing times.

How's your application going by the way?


Thanks.
 

S0PH1A

Newbie
Apr 25, 2018
3
0
Hi Hesy,

My family and I applied in May from the accra visa office. It usually takes 8 weeks to process but ours got processed in six weeks. I know that rejections happens faster, so if it's taking long it's probably a good sign.

All the best.
Hi ExcitedMe, I know it's been four years but I'm really curious about how you applied as a family and got approved.
I'm looking to apply from South Africa for a Study permit as well and my husband for an OWP at the same time. If you will, kindly answer the ffg questions;
1) Who was the study permit applicant, you or your husband?
2) Did you show strong ties to your country to prove that you would return?
3) If yes, what did you show as your strong ties? (If you're not comfortable sharing this, some advice will really be appreciated).