+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

studied visual arts (fine arts) and planning to work as an industrial painter

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
Hello everyone.

I have a question about immigration for PR as a painter (house, residential..wall) (NOC 7294).

I studied 4 years at university in major of visual arts, BFA. and graduated this year May.

I planned to find a job with my major, which was really hard... everybody was looking for
at least master degree holders for visual arts related positions.

So I changed my plan, to work as a painter. of course as a junior, painter helper kind at starting point. I know how to use brushes or paints from my study, although it was for fine arts, not for industrial or commercial purpose.

I've got my 3 years PGWP just this July, So am thinking if I dig hard enough, I will be at least in professional level in 2-3 years, which can allow me to apply for PR right at the end of my PGWP as a skilled worker.

I wonder, though, if this plan would work.

- I didnt really have a training or apprenticeship directly as a painter. (I will learn like hands-on from a beginner and slowly into intermediate and into professional on the work site)
- I didn't go to college in this trade field.
- I wouldn't be able to get red seal because it requires me to have 3 years experience first before the red seal exam.

Some work places offer this painter position (NOC 7294 - B ) without red seal or certification. They sometimes only requires 1-2 years experience.

But when it comes to immigration, I am kinda worried if the immigration office won't count this work as a skilled worker ( NOC 7294 ) because I don't have a directly related training nor apprenticeship, nor red seal.. only work experiences...

So if anyone can help in this situation, it'd be really really appreciated!

(P.S. I got a job offer as a painter helper, which seems like there can be much room for growing more. )

Last edited:

rezafc

Champion Member
Jun 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
01-08-2014
Hi there,

First off you have three years, and as you mentioned you will gradually step up the ladder.

Secondly you can gain work in another NOC code regardless of your studies (it might raise some flags if it's completely out of whack, for instance; after doing a masters in IT and count your credits for flipping burgers! Still possible but a little strange). In your situation I'm pretty sure you're fine. Your line of work is somewhat related with what you had studied so no worries there. Also none of the fields you mentioned are actually Mandatory or Required! They are usually required but not always.

I would suggest you always eventually aim to get a job under your line of studies, maybe NOC 5136. You can gain experience and count your credits under multiple NOC codes, so again no worries. Before you start any job with any employer, explain your situation and ask them that you will need a reference letter by the end of the job, or anytime you desire. In that letter they can clearly mention that you have been training towards your future occupation. Also make sure that you get paid reasonably. You don't have to get paid what's exactly written in the books, but it has to make sense accordingly. Keep all of your documents and letters.

It's very good that you're thinking ahead. From my experience here at this forum, I can tell you'll crack it without any problems. Just stay focused, sharp and patient.

All the best mate,

Last edited:
Reactions: jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
- I didnt really have a training or apprenticeship directly as a painter. (I will learn like hands-on from a beginner and slowly into intermediate and into professional on the work site)
- I didn't go to college in this trade field.
Not an issue. Education and job (generally) do not have to match (unless in regulated occupations).

- I wouldn't be able to get red seal because it requires me to have 3 years experience first before the red seal exam.

Red Seal is only mandatory in Quebec - so unless you are working in Quebec, this is not an issue.
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=7&val1=7294&ver=16&val65=painter

SBt when it comes to immigration, I am kinda worried if the immigration office won't count this work as a skilled worker ( NOC 7294 ) because I don't have a directly related training nor apprenticeship, nor red seal.. only work experiences...

(P.S. I got a job offer as a painter helper, which seems like there can be much room for growing more. )

Note that painter helper has a different NOC - 7611 - and that it is classified as unskilled:
http://noc.esdc.gc.ca/English/noc/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=7&val1=7611&ver=16&val65=painter helper

Although the painter helper position will not directly help you qualify for CEC, it will serve as the "training" or "apprenticeship" - it will give you the background in the trade that, if/when you get promoted to NOC 7294, you will have the appropriate background (not strictly necessary, but good to have).

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you so much, rezafc, for your reply.

I actually explained everything to my employer, who is also a graduate from same university that I graduated.
So he might be able to help me in every way for CEC immigration.

Thank you again :) !!!!!

Hi there,

First off you have three years, and as you mentioned you will gradually step up the ladder.

Secondly you can gain work in another NOC code regardless of your studies (it might raise some flags if it's completely out of whack, for instance; after doing a masters in IT and count your credits for flipping burgers! Still possible but a little strange). In your situation I'm pretty sure you're fine. Your line of work is somewhat related with what you had studied so no worries there. Also none of the fields you mentioned are actually Mandatory or Required! They are usually required but not always.

I would suggest you always eventually aim to get a job under your line of studies, maybe NOC 5136. You can gain experience and count your credits under multiple NOC codes, so again no worries. Before you start any job with any employer, explain your situation and ask them that you will need a reference letter by the end of the job, or anytime you desire. In that letter they can clearly mention that you have been training towards your future occupation. Also make sure that you get paid reasonably. You don't have to get paid what's exactly written in the books, but it has to make sense accordingly. Keep all of your documents and letters.

It's very good that you're thinking ahead. From my experience here at this forum, I can tell you'll crack it without any problems. Just stay focused, sharp and patient.

All the best mate,

jjrrabbit

Jun 17, 2015
Thank you jes_ON also, for information of this trade field.
I didn't know the red seal was mandatory only for Quebec. :)

My plan is to work 1 year as entry level and work another year for NOC 7294, which will make myself qualified for CEC immigration.
Or maybe faster :)

Thank you, have a great day!