+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Studied 16 months .... what's next help me.....

ajimpm

Sep 28, 2009
Hi,

I am from India and I came here )Vancouver,BC) for a 1year Diploma course and I compleated the course now, but It took 16months(4 full time semseters) for me to compleate course because of various reasons.

I want to apply for PR what is the best option for me to get PR

Please suggest.

Thaks in advance

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Spend some time on this website - there are a few options
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Basically, it depends on your previous work experience.

Three options:

1) Federal Skilled Worker Program:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

a) You may be eligible if you get an offer of permanent employment (Cat 2)

b) You may be eligible under Category 3:
"you are a foreign national who has been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or an international student"

IF
* you have at least one year of continuous full-time paid work experience or the equivalent in part-time continuous employment, AND
* your work experience must be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification list, AND
* you must have had this experience within the last 10 years.

2) Canadian Experience Class
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

You don't qualify yet, but if you apply for a post graduate work permit and work in Canada for 1 year, you will qualify.

"You must meet these minimum requirements to apply for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. You must:

* plan to live outside the province of Quebec
* be either:
o a temporary foreign worker with at least two years of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada, or
o a foreign graduate from a Canadian post-secondary institution with at least one year of full-time (or equivalent) skilled work experience in Canada
* have gained your experience in Canada with the proper work or study authorization
* apply while working in Canada – or – within one year of leaving your job in Canada

3) Marry a Canadian :)

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Post graduate work permit program
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
whoops, one error, SORRY! For your education to count in the CEC class:

"a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years, or a

a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years)."

You would have to work in Canada for 2 years to be eligible under CEC class. If your diploma program is a one-year program, you could not get a post-grad work permit for longer than one year. CEC isn't going to work for you...

But if you get the post-grad work permit, it might give you some time to look around for permanent employment, and go through the FSW program...

ajimpm

Sep 28, 2009
Thank you ,

But as website say I ve compleated 4 full semester study in a University.
and if I do 1 year job here will I qualify?

Thanks

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
what was the program?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Well, I'm not the immigration officer, but it says pretty plainly that diploma programs don't count... Sorry!!! At least you have other options....

ajimpm

Sep 28, 2009
Thank you again for your time and suggessions.

I read the portion like this:

a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years

in defininitions

Two years of study – At least 16 months—or four semesters—within the 24 months before completing a full-time post-secondary program of study in Canada.

my doubt is since I study 4 semesters and its a post secondory...will it be considerd as 2yr (4sems)
(diplomas will not consider for 1yr study)

copy from cic website follows
________________________________________________________________________________________

Education
Education is only assessed if you are applying as a graduate of a Canadian post-secondary educational institution.

If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or
a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).
Note: English- or French-as-a-second- language courses do not count toward education requirements under the Canadian Experience Class.

The programs must be delivered by a private or public post-secondary educational institution such as a college or a university that is provincially recognized, or
Private CEGEPs.
Note: You must have proper status during any period of full-time study or training.

If you do not meet the minimum education requirements when applying as a graduate, your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class will be refused.

Definitions
Full-time studies – To be eligible, you must have been considered “full-time” at your school.

Two years of study – At least 16 months—or four semesters—within the 24 months before completing a full-time post-secondary program of study in Canada.