+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Stop in a different city than the final distination.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Deal all,

If my final destination is--say Edmonton--and I book a ticket from US that has a stop--say in Vancouver--Then my port of entry would be considered Vancouver BC and not Edmonton AB. Would that be any problem? or cause any un-necessary delay at landing? Or I'm simply paranoid?

I have booked a ticket from US to Canada (Edmonton, AB) but it has a stop in Vancouver BC. So, I guess Vancouver BC is considered the landing port, and all the immigration paper work and everything would be handled there, correct? Then I'm just curious if that would cause anything at all? Please advise...

thanks,

Toledo

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
I don't think your papers are processed until you pass customs, which I'm pretty sure you won't do if you just do a stop over. In any case I don't think immigration would give you any grief about the whole issue if you explain it to them.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
No, it's fine. You can land anywhere in Canada, it doesn't have to be where you intend to live. And it's fine to continue your travel right after the landing, but take into account the landing takes a while.

I am not certain, but I think you'll be doing the 'landing' in Vancouver. It's the first time you enter the country - the connecting flight is a domestic flight, so they won't make the passengers go through immigration when it lands in Edmonton. Meaning it will be done in Vancouver. Unless of course it's the SAME flight and it just stops in Vancouver and you won't be getting off the plane and... ugh. I don't know. lol

The only 'bad' thing with landing in Vancouver is that it might take a while. Depends on when you get there. When I arrived there on a monday afternoon, there was only one other family that was landing, so I was done with immigration in 15 minutes.

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
Guys, I am just reapeating what others told, in different wording:

The formalities are to be completed at the first landing in the "International Arrival" Terminal of the airport because, all the passengers except those on "transit" have to pass through the Customs and Immigration. In the "Domestic Arrival" Terminal there is no need Customs/Immigration counters.

AlanWales

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Wales
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-09
File Transfer...
04-08-09
Med's Done....
15-06-09
Interview........
Not required.
Passport Req..
12-11-09
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-09
LANDED..........
09-01-10
I have a stop over in Toronto on my way to Vancouver, I have a little short of two hours. I assumed I would do my paperwork when I got to Vancouver. I am a little concerned now.

Rob51

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alan, it took me 1 hour in Toronto to do my landing. It depends how busy it is. I will hope that you will get your next flight in time. Your landing is the first port of entry, that will be Toronto.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Thank you guys for the input.

I'd booked the ticket yesterday, and I have a grace period of 24 hours to cancel, meaning that won't get penalized for cancellation if done within 24 hours. Then, I guess, I will re-book another one which directly lands in Edmonton. Because, there's not enough time (45min) before i need to catch the connecting flight. Plus Vancouver will be busy for the olympics. Thanks again guys.