+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

States Lived During US Military Service

poisonive

Nov 17, 2008
I am a Canadian citizen living in the US and my husband is retired US Coast Guard. We are planning on moving back to Canada and we are completing the application kit for out of Canada. I have several questions:

1) I currently am searching for work and have several resumes out. I am even considering returning and living wiht family in Canada to expedite the job hunt. Is that ok to do? Will in jeopardize our out of Canada process?

2) My husband while in the service lived in several states while in the service but never established residency - i.e. he lived on base and retained his home of record as his residency - which incidentally is where we live now. Do we need to list these addresses and receive police clearances? He never paid taxes in these states only taxes to his home state.

Thanks - and this forum is great! Thanks for all your help!

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
1) You can return to Canada to job hunt and it will not impact your out of country application since it's based on your husband's country of residence. He should apply via Buffalo, NY.

2) Rather be safe than sorry - list all addresses and obtain records from all states. It's an easy process and will cost you $10-20 per state. You will get your records within a few weeks. If you don't do it and if CIC does ask for the records it can delay your process with several months.

Provide CIC with more information than they ask for. I sent them a full binder with supporting documents, pictures and letters. Lots of people thought I was crazy. Did it help or not? I don't know - all I know is that my application was approved and I got my PR and CORP in 90 days.

Good luck!