+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse sponsorship

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
I have a few questions that I was hoping to get some answers to. I will be marrying a Canadian citizen in August. I am trying to be very organized and complete some of the paperwork ahead of time. My first question is will it matter that my name on the documents now is my current last name and not my married name being that I'm not married yet? For example, I would like to send in to the FBI for my clearance. I got my fingerprints done today. Is it a big deal that my request letter has my current last name? My next question is the FBI sent two blank cards. Do I send both sets of fingerprints with my clearance letter or do I send one to FBI and one to immigration later. My next question is about my state clearance. I know that I am required to have a clearance from Pennsylvania (my home state), but I'm not sure which clearance. We have a criminal history clearance and a child abuse clearance. Will I need both, or just the criminal history clearance.
If anyone has any insight, please help me out. I want this to go as smoothly as possible. Thank you so much.

anacruse

May 29, 2007
Hello:

I read your post and i thought to answer, because i will also marry to a Canadian citizen.But my situation is more complicated because he still studying and i live in Portugal...and we don't think His government will accept that he can sponsor me.We feel really stuck.The best solution we can think about is for me to stay here untill he finishes his degree and only than move...Do you have nay idea how long do we have to wait to get the legal papers and rights to work????Can you tell me how long are ou taking care of this imigration thing and how's it going???lot of work, i can imagine!
Thnaks and best luck for you two!
Ana

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
My fiance and I have been together almost two years now and I have read and reread the cic website and visited this forum quite often. He can only sponsor me after we're married because we are living and working in separate countries. I am trying to get the paperwork ready ahead of time to make the process shorter, but from what I have read it may take 6-9 months to process everything. This is why I am asking the few questions that I do have after I have read my immigration packet a few times over. Hopefully someone can help me with some answers. Thank you for your response. If I can help you in any way, let me know.

Zhu

May 30, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Hi PRS,

I was sponsored by my husband too, so let me try to help.

My first question is will it matter that my name on the documents now is my current last name and not my married name being that I'm not married yet?
No, I don't think it does matter. Actually, I'm married too and I kept my maiden name. It has never been a problem for the CIC when we've done the paperwork.

Sorry I'm not American so can't help with the security clearance...

Just wanted to add that you don't have to be married to be sponsored. Sure, it's sometimes easier, but you could also fit in the "conjugal partner" category, as long as you can prove that for now, you can not live together (visa problems, studies etc.)

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
Thanks for your help. My fiance and I don't fit under the conjugal category because the only thing stopping me from moving there now is my job, which I'm choosing to keep so that I can continue to make money. If I were to move to Canada before having PR, I wouldn't be able to work anyway. We're quite happy getting married. We're both very excited about our upcoming wedding and being able to live in the same country if all goes smoothly. Fortunately for us it is not too far of a drive to see each other and we manage to do so every other weekend.
Thanks for your reply. No one else answered so I'm just sending in for my criminal history background check from my state and sending both sets of fingerprints to the FBI.

anacruse

May 29, 2007
Well, here i am again....

I hope you all doing well...i like to come here and read your posts, so i can get a better idea how to proceed with my fiancé for our future imigration and sponsor thing...my main problem, is the same of yours, to get my PR and let go of my job here in Portugal because me and my fiance, need that i may be working when i move to Canada...i still didn't get an answer if is it very hard to find a boss/company that will sponsor me?????and where to look for?what are the best employment agencies to help us????I hope i'll get my answer one day.!Well, just wish you a good day!See ya...

PRS

Apr 3, 2006
Thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea why they sent me two blank cards? I thought maybe the other one should be sent to immigration, but I wasn't sure.