+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse, now separated question

Britjojo

Mar 23, 2007
I've been a year now with a permanent resident card, having married three years ago. We have one child, a daughter who is almost two.

My husband became violent and we had to leave for our own safety. The problem is that my daughter is a Canadian citizen and I am not-is there a way I can continue my residency without my husband? I do not want to take her away from the family she knows, and I do not have the money to begin citizenship proceedings for her to come to the UK with me. I am NOT willing to be parted from her.

Her father hasn't seen either of us in a year, despite coming to the town we live in.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Britjojo said:
I've been a year now with a permanent resident card, having married three years ago. We have one child, a daughter who is almost two.

My husband became violent and we had to leave for our own safety. The problem is that my daughter is a Canadian citizen and I am not-is there a way I can continue my residency without my husband? I do not want to take her away from the family she knows, and I do not have the money to begin citizenship proceedings for her to come to the UK with me. I am NOT willing to be parted from her.

Her father hasn't seen either of us in a year, despite coming to the town we live in.
To maintain your residency, you have to reside physically in Canada for 2 years in each 5 year period. You don't say if you are in Canada or outside of Canada.

PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Britjojo said:
I'm IN Canada! So sorry. I came here, married, had a family.
Then as long as you maintain your residency in Canada, you are fine. But if you leave prior to obtaining citizenship, and remain outside Canada, then you will lose it.

Britjojo

Mar 23, 2007
Remain outside for how long? I mean, my family is all in the UK-does this mean that I cannot visit them? I only ever went for a couple of weeks at a time.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Britjojo said:
Remain outside for how long? I mean, my family is all in the UK-does this mean that I cannot visit them? I only ever went for a couple of weeks at a time.
Your not reading the original answer, you have to remain in Canada for a total of 2 years in every 5 year period.