alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
I have applied for CEC and recently I received an email to send passport for immigrant visa. My wife only has last name in her Passport and work permit. She came to Canada on Spouse open work permit in Feb 2015. We are facing several issues regarding opening an account in bank getting a job. I also contacted equifax and was told they are unable to locate credit history since my wife has only last name. Please advise us what is the best way to add my last name with her name? Can we ask CBSA officer at the time of landing to change name in system?

HarrySingh

Jan 2, 2013
What do you mean by your wife only has last name in her passport ?
But one thing is sure that you cannot get it changed at the port of landing. Name will stay exactly same as per the travel document (Passport).
As your wife landed (on work permit) in Canada on her existing passport, so I think her name is not an issue with Canada border agency for doing landing as permanent Resident.
Once you guys made landing as PR, you can go to your country consulate in Canada and follow their process to get the name corrected. Once corrected, made the necessary changes with CIC via Service Canada, also with all other agencies.
I suggest do not mess with name if your landing date is approaching.

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
HarrySingh said:
What do you mean by your wife only has last name in her passport ?
But one thing is sure that you cannot get it changed at the port of landing. Name will stay exactly same as per the travel document (Passport).
As your wife landed (on work permit) in Canada on her existing passport, so I think her name is not an issue with Canada border agency for doing landing as permanent Resident.
Once you guys made landing as PR, you can go to your country consulate in Canada and follow their process to get the name corrected. Once corrected, made the necessary changes with CIC via Service Canada, also with all other agencies.
I suggest do not mess with name if your landing date is approaching.
all of her educational documents and passport has only last name there is no first name. So I was wondering if we can add my last name with her name. Let say after landing we will go our country's consulate and get her name changed then what will be the procedure to change her name on PR card and SIN card?

CEC_1304

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2014
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
02-May 2015
alijumani said:
I have applied for CEC and recently I received an email to send passport for immigrant visa. My wife only has last name in her Passport and work permit. She came to Canada on Spouse open work permit in Feb 2015. We are facing several issues regarding opening an account in bank getting a job. I also contacted equifax and was told they are unable to locate credit history since my wife has only last name. Please advise us what is the best way to add my last name with her name? Can we ask CBSA officer at the time of landing to change name in system?
Hello Ali ,

Not sure whether I understood your Q and requirement correctly. Based on my understanding I am providing my comment
1) In CIC or most of Canadian organization Last mane is mandatory field not First Name. According to CIC if she have only Last name. then same last name need to use in both the field OR she can just leave First name field blank.
2) No CBSA officer not authorized to do any changes in name of applicant . A big No.

I will suggest go with her last name as of now , as your PR process is at end and don't mess it up Brother.

Good Luck

alijumani

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto
Category........
CEC
LANDED..........
09-08-2015
CEC_1304 said:
Hello Ali ,

Not sure whether I understood your Q and requirement correctly. Based on my understanding I am providing my comment
1) In CIC or most of Canadian organization Last mane is mandatory field not First Name. According to CIC if she have only Last name. then same last name need to use in both the field OR she can just leave First name field blank.
2) No CBSA officer not authorized to do any changes in name of applicant . A big No.

I will suggest go with her last name as of now , as your PR process is at end and don't mess it up Brother.

Good Luck
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Yes, wenever faced any problem regarding applying for my spouse work permit and adding her as a dependent on my file. However, having only last name is problem whule you opening an account in bank applying for credit card.

Yes I will go to my country's consulate after landing and will gonna change her name in passport then service Canada

CICOtawa

Star Member
Apr 17, 2015
alijumani said:
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Yes, wenever faced any problem regarding applying for my spouse work permit and adding her as a dependent on my file. However, having only last name is problem whule you opening an account in bank applying for credit card.

Yes I will go to my country's consulate after landing and will gonna change her name in passport then service Canada
Then you need to apply to change her name on here PR card too.