+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

spouse and kid

mexico

Jun 4, 2009
can someone help us please.......

I am a mexican married to a canadian 2004 living in mexico. i had a kid and my husband, the canadian, adopted my kid in 2006. we are thinking of moving to canada as economy in mexico is not good at all. We have started to look at the application and we dont know if we need to include our kid the one he adopted here in mexico in the same application as mine.

the adoption was a domestic one, not international so we cant apply for citizenship. Our kid has his last name.

thanks a lot

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mexico said:
can someone help us please.......

I am a mexican married to a canadian 2004 living in mexico. i had a kid and my husband, the canadian, adopted my kid in 2006. we are thinking of moving to canada as economy in mexico is not good at all. We have started to look at the application and we dont know if we need to include our kid the one he adopted here in mexico in the same application as mine.

the adoption was a domestic one, not international so we cant apply for citizenship. Our kid has his last name.

thanks a lot
If one of the parents was a Canadian at the time of the child's birth, then the child is a Canadian. Just apply for proof of citizenship.see; http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp It takes about 15 months. Once you have proof that you have applied, then you can obtain a limited validity passport for the child. The child is not included on the sponsorship, but is included on the IMM 5406

PMM

mexico

Jun 4, 2009
this is the thing....my canadian husband adopted my mexican kid. So we cant go that way of citizenship....do you or anybody else has other ideas...thanks a lot for the help

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mexico said:
this is the thing....my canadian husband adopted my mexican kid. So we cant go that way of citizenship....do you or anybody else has other ideas...thanks a lot for the help
Then the child is included on your application as dependent.

PMM

Alice100

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi Office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 08, 2009
Doc's Request.
Sept 2009 and March 28, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
File Transfer...
Sept 2009
Med's Request
March 28, 2011
Med's Done....
May 4 and May 18, 2011
Passport Req..
March 28 but sent on May 26, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 05, 2011
LANDED..........
July 12, 2011
Hi Mexico:

Unless your husband was exclusively residing outside Canada during the adoption, he is not allowed to adopt a child without permission from his province of residence. If he was a resident of another country, then he is allowed to adopt hence as PMM indicated, you can include your child as a dependent. On the other hand, let us assume that your husband did not adopt the child, he can sponsor you with your dependent child, but will require permission from the child's father to take him/her out of the country. Hope I am not confusing you. Good luck

mexico

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks a lot for your help..it really solved my doubts.

Yes my husband is living and working exclusively in mexico since 2002. Ithink he is ready to move back to his canada..so let the paperwork begin

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
For the purposes of immigration sponsorship: it makes absolutely no difference that your husband adopted your child. Your son is eligible to be sponsored by your husband for permanent residence because he is your child (assuming he is under the age of 22 and not married or in a common-law relationship) and you are being sponsored as a spouse. He is included on the application as your accompanying dependent . . . the adoption has no bearing whatsoever on the sponsorship process except for, as Alice100 mentioned, the issue of you needing permission from the biological father for the child to immigrate. If your son's biological father gave up all claim to him (which might be the result of the adoption), you should not need his permission for your son to immigrate. Otherwise, you'd need his signed, notarized consent.

Whether the adoption will be legally recognized in Canada (or not, as Alice100 implied) is another matter entirely and not applicable to the sponsorship process. Just because your husband adopted your son, don't confuse this spousal/dependent child application process with the process required when someone sponsors an adopted child from another country. They're not the same thing - and the requirements are VERY different . . . primarily in regards to medical inadmissibility.

mexico

Jun 4, 2009
Thanks a lot..yes she will be considered a dependant child...thanks a lot for everyones help.......it really cleared our question....

leo123

Dec 14, 2008
Re:

Dear All,

I have a question regarding my first kid from my deceased wife. My son is 03 years old. Then I got married again after the death of my first wife and God has blessed me with a baby girl. My new wife is a principal applicant in Federal Skill class immigration. She wants to include me, my son and daugher in the dependents list of family. Can she sponsor the boy also because there is no adoption or any legal paper work has been arranged by me? We just got married and living happily. But now if we are applying for the Canadian immigration then is there any problem with this? So please clear this point?

LEo123

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
leo123 said:
Dear All,

I have a question regarding my first kid from my deceased wife. My son is 03 years old. Then I got married again after the death of my first wife and God has blessed me with a baby girl. My new wife is a principal applicant in Federal Skill class immigration. She wants to include me, my son and daughter in the dependents list of family. Can she sponsor the boy also because there is no adoption or any legal paper work has been arranged by me? We just got married and living happily. But now if we are applying for the Canadian immigration then is there any problem with this? So please clear this point?

LEo123
I'm sorry - I messed up my first response. I'm not entirely sure about your dependent child on your wife's skilled worker application, so I'd suggest that you post your inquiry in the Independent Immigration forum. People there are better informed about that process and more likely to give you accurate information.