Aor2 : October 4th 2019
Medical request : December 13th 2019
Medicals completed : January 6th 2020
interview request : January 9th 2020
medicals passed : January 13th 2020
Interview completed : February 20th 2020
Decision made & pre arrival : February 22nd 2020
Ppr : February 24th 2020

goodluck to those who’s application is in process.

Last edited:

Marcos_Bastos

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
Hi. Can somebody give me some help?
I am sponsoring my wife and her 12 year-old son, fom Brazil.

My Application was returned to me today.
One of the documents they say was not right is the IMM 5604 (Declaration from non-accompanying parent/guardian for minors immigrating to Canada).

The issue I had is that the document needs to be signed by this parent in front of a witness (notary public)... BUT the notary in Brazil did not want to sign the document because it was not in portuguese.
What I did was: I translated the full document into portuguese, had the father sign it, had the notary sign it as well and I finally had the document translated (certified translation). Even though I made it clear that the specific translation was for the IMM5604, it was not accepted.

3 questions:

1- Does anybody know how I can proceed now?
2- All application (forms, translations, etc...) that was sent back to me was "hole punched". Do I have to prepare new forms, new everything?
3- What happens with the amount paid?

Regards,
Marcos

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

One of the documents they say was not right is the IMM 5604 (Declaration from non-accompanying parent/guardian for minors immigrating to Canada).

The issue I had is that the document needs to be signed by this parent in front of a witness (notary public)... BUT the notary in Brazil did not want to sign the document because it was not in portuguese.
What I did was: I translated the full document into portuguese, had the father sign it, had the notary sign it as well and I finally had the document translated (certified translation). Even though I made it clear that the specific translation was for the IMM5604, it was not accepted.

3 questions:

2- All application (forms, translations, etc...) that was sent back to me was "hole punched". Do I have to prepare new forms, new everything?
3- What happens with the amount paid?

Regards,
Marcos
1. Find a notary who speaks English and is willing to notarize the form. You can also check with the Canadian embassy, as they will sometimes notarize documents, or other English-speaking embassies.

2. No. You need to make sure no forms have been updated since you submitted. Those would need to be redone.

3. Nothing. You use the same receipt.

Marcos_Bastos

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
1. Find a notary who speaks English and is willing to notarize the form. You can also check with the Canadian embassy, as they will sometimes notarize documents, or other English-speaking embassies.

2. No. You need to make sure no forms have been updated since you submitted. Those would need to be redone.

3. Nothing. You use the same receipt.
Thank you canuck_in_uk

Great news for questions 2 and 3. As per question 1, I am coming to immigration Canada tomorrow to see what can be done.
Unfortunately, I tried to find one notary who could do that when I was in Brazil for the holidays... found no one. And option 2 would be possible but the nearest canadian embassy near the child's father is 200km away.

Regards,
Marcos

maan123

Jul 25, 2012
just got an email file moved to Indian mission for processing did not say Delhi or Mississauga
any body can tell where it would be moved
already got medical request and bio matrics

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

First, sorry to hear this happened to you.

Most important question: did the letter or documents sent back to you give any guidance on what you should provide, i.e. anything more specific than what you had done? Obviously if that tells you what you should provide, do that.

But since you're asking, I presume it did not.

Now background: it seems that in many countries notaries public will NOT sign or witness documents that are not in the national language. (I experienced this for Russia, not Brazil).

I actually approached in a similar way to how you did this: translated (certified translation) into Russian, signed and witnessed by the parent, then certified translation back into English. I provided a letter of explanation - short - explaining why I had to do it this way. And it was accepted by IRCC for processing and not returned (application still in process, so it's possible we will be asked to provide something more in future). I don't know why this approach was accepted by IRCC and yours was not, i.e. if there is some detail of Russian law or IRCC procedures that made this acceptable, or that the translations were all certified, or what exactly. It is possible - perhaps not likely but possible - that the IRCC approach was a mistake by someone who did not know that this is the 'normal' way to proceed for Brazil.

Parallel to this I had inquiries to IRCC and the Embassy to see how I should proceed - unsuccessful (no-one was able to find). So I proceeded as above. After I had submitted, I found a version of the IMM5406 that was in both languages (English and Russian) on one page. It was too late for me to use this form (and I'm not sure it was up to date) - note it was on official IRCC website. The form was included in the country-specific instruction manual for Russia - although as noted this may have been out of date.

The similar guide or website for Brazil (Sao Paulo) does not seem to provide more detail on how to do the IMM5604:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/guides/e33134.pdf

So the only suggestions I can make:
-inquire direct to IRCC or the Canadian Embassy visa section on how to do this for Brazil (this may be slow or difficult, I just don't know - as I said I didn't have much luck with this approach either);
-contact your MPs office to see if they can help answer this specific question (all they would be doing is contacting IRCC but may have more luck 'shaking the tree' for the correct answer) - note that if the IRCC response was in error, the MPs office may also be able to help clarify and hopefully avoid having a re-submission returned;
-check Portuguese language immigration forums as it is highly likely that others have encountered this particular issue before;
-contact or inquire of immigration consultants on this specific issue - it may cost money, and they may want to do your whole application (for significant extra cost), but perhaps would consider a one-off consultation;
-you could re-submit with the same documentation, double-checking that every step is certified translation and include a letter of explanation;
-have some version of IMM5406 prepared in a dual-language version (certified translations) and have that witnessed and executed.

Sorry these are only suggestions on how to track down the issue and not hard answers, but hope it helps. I am guessing that Portuguese-language immigration forums may be the fastest way to get specific and concrete answers, but only a guess. Also likely that Portuguese speaking consultants (of which many in Toronto for example) would know as well.

And side note, as far as I'm concerned this is a major oversight or gap in the country-specific instructions as the English language form is quite specific about requiring it be witnessed by a notary public, and it seems not that uncommon that notaries will not witness foreign-language document execution. (The existence of a dual-language English/Russian form - even if not current - also indicates that IRCC is at least aware this is not possible in some countries, too). But knowing this is a gap doesn't help you in the here and now.

Good luck.

khanhvi

Feb 24, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I need your advice, I have applied for outland sponsor (Vietnam)

My interview completed Feb 6, Interviewer said they will send a request me to provide police check since then (almost 3 weeks) there's no response

I'm not sure Vietnam 's process (Vitenam VAC) will be affected by Covid-19 outbreak or not?

Cause I saw a note some VACs centres is temporary closing in Mainland China.

Thank you for your advice

Belarusian

Sep 3, 2019
Please I am quite confused on how to arrange my documents, because they requested barcode pages after checklist, my question is

1 :should I take all the barcode pages from all the forms and add them together and place it after the checklist ...before placing the forms without the barcode pages according to the checklist.

2:I will be submitting work permit should I still place the work permit barcode page with the others together or separately after the others before outing the work permit form.

:which kind of envelope is good to put my forms in is it the normal brown envelope of any size? And do I have to seal it, and do I have to write anything on the envelope ?

Or should i put the work permit after the checklist and should the work permit barcode come first before the filled form or it’s okay to live it at its original position after the validation of the form.

before arranging the sponsorship forms
Should I leave the barcode pages in its original positions after validations or I should move them to the 1st positions of each filled forms
And some forms have up to 2 pages of barcodes pages
I cann`t tell you more than what is written in the guide (my case sponsorship outside without OWP)
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html#submit
Step 7: Submit your application package
Note: Before submitting your application, you should make a photocopy for your own records. You may need information from your package after you submit your application.
Now that you’ve finished preparing your application, you can submit it for processing. You should do the following:
  1. Place a copy of the checklist on top of your complete application package. This will help make sure the application can be processed as quickly as possible when it arrives in our office.
  2. If you’re applying under the Spouse or Common-Law Partner in Canada class and the person you are sponsoring is also applying for an open work permit, after the checklist, place:
    • the work permit application form and documents (if applicable) and
    • a separate fee payment receipt for the cost of the work permit application
  3. The order of documents should be as follows:
    • checklist;
    • open work permit application (and supporting documents), if applicable;
    • any barcode pages;
    • supporting documents, in the order they’re listed on the checklist.

Glacier

Star Member
Jan 13, 2020
App received : July 10th 2019
Aor1 : August 30th 2019
Biometrics letter : September 4th 2019
Sponsorship approval : September 5th 2019
biometrics completed : September 16th 2019
File transferred to : September 23rd 2019
Aor2 : October 4th 2019
Medical request : December 13th 2019
Medicals completed : January 6th 2020
interview request : January 9th 2020
medicals passed : January 13th 2020
Interview completed : February 20th 2020
Decision made & pre arrival : February 22nd 2020
Ppr : February 24th 2020

goodluck to those who’s application is in process.
Congratulations, Can you please share that your file was processed in which visa office, Our's is with NDVO since Jan 13,2020 and Medicals and Bio-Metrics are all approved. Thanks !!

Reactions: Zikky

Marcos_Bastos

Star Member
Feb 4, 2020
First, sorry to hear this happened to you.

Most important question: did the letter or documents sent back to you give any guidance on what you should provide, i.e. anything more specific than what you had done? Obviously if that tells you what you should provide, do that.

But since you're asking, I presume it did not.

Now background: it seems that in many countries notaries public will NOT sign or witness documents that are not in the national language. (I experienced this for Russia, not Brazil).

I actually approached in a similar way to how you did this: translated (certified translation) into Russian, signed and witnessed by the parent, then certified translation back into English. I provided a letter of explanation - short - explaining why I had to do it this way. And it was accepted by IRCC for processing and not returned (application still in process, so it's possible we will be asked to provide something more in future). I don't know why this approach was accepted by IRCC and yours was not, i.e. if there is some detail of Russian law or IRCC procedures that made this acceptable, or that the translations were all certified, or what exactly. It is possible - perhaps not likely but possible - that the IRCC approach was a mistake by someone who did not know that this is the 'normal' way to proceed for Brazil.

Parallel to this I had inquiries to IRCC and the Embassy to see how I should proceed - unsuccessful (no-one was able to find). So I proceeded as above. After I had submitted, I found a version of the IMM5406 that was in both languages (English and Russian) on one page. It was too late for me to use this form (and I'm not sure it was up to date) - note it was on official IRCC website. The form was included in the country-specific instruction manual for Russia - although as noted this may have been out of date.

The similar guide or website for Brazil (Sao Paulo) does not seem to provide more detail on how to do the IMM5604:
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ircc/migration/ircc/english/pdf/kits/guides/e33134.pdf

So the only suggestions I can make:
-inquire direct to IRCC or the Canadian Embassy visa section on how to do this for Brazil (this may be slow or difficult, I just don't know - as I said I didn't have much luck with this approach either);
-contact your MPs office to see if they can help answer this specific question (all they would be doing is contacting IRCC but may have more luck 'shaking the tree' for the correct answer) - note that if the IRCC response was in error, the MPs office may also be able to help clarify and hopefully avoid having a re-submission returned;
-check Portuguese language immigration forums as it is highly likely that others have encountered this particular issue before;
-contact or inquire of immigration consultants on this specific issue - it may cost money, and they may want to do your whole application (for significant extra cost), but perhaps would consider a one-off consultation;
-you could re-submit with the same documentation, double-checking that every step is certified translation and include a letter of explanation;
-have some version of IMM5406 prepared in a dual-language version (certified translations) and have that witnessed and executed.

Sorry these are only suggestions on how to track down the issue and not hard answers, but hope it helps. I am guessing that Portuguese-language immigration forums may be the fastest way to get specific and concrete answers, but only a guess. Also likely that Portuguese speaking consultants (of which many in Toronto for example) would know as well.

And side note, as far as I'm concerned this is a major oversight or gap in the country-specific instructions as the English language form is quite specific about requiring it be witnessed by a notary public, and it seems not that uncommon that notaries will not witness foreign-language document execution. (The existence of a dual-language English/Russian form - even if not current - also indicates that IRCC is at least aware this is not possible in some countries, too). But knowing this is a gap doesn't help you in the here and now.

Good luck.
Hi , armoured

I called IRCC here in Canada. They said it is ok to do what I have done. The only thing I missed, according to them, is exactly what you have done:
"Provide a letter of explanation - short - explaining why I had to do it this way".

I just posted it and this time, hopefully, it is going to work.
Thank you VERY MUCH for your very rich response and also for your concern.
Wish you all the best.

Cheers.

Mickey9

Feb 9, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I need your advice, I have applied for outland sponsor (Vietnam)

My interview completed Feb 6, Interviewer said they will send a request me to provide police check since then (almost 3 weeks) there's no response

I'm not sure Vietnam 's process (Vitenam VAC) will be affected by Covid-19 outbreak or not?

Cause I saw a note some VACs centres is temporary closing in Mainland China.

Thank you for your advice
Have you checked online tool (ECAS) or GCKEY acc? What is your status in Permanent Residence Application Status? Did you get "Decision Made"? if not, you have to wait for them, they are making decision. If the interview is passed, then they will look up "police check" and send request(if applicable). GCKEY acc is the first place their request is appeared. If there are nothing to link to your application, they will send an email.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I called IRCC here in Canada. They said it is ok to do what I have done. The only thing I missed, according to them, is exactly what you have done:
"Provide a letter of explanation - short - explaining why I had to do it this way".

I just posted it and this time, hopefully, it is going to work.
Glad you got a straight and specific answer - at least you know how to proceed. I'm a bit surprised it's as simple as that, but, well, now we know.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

Diplomat07

Star Member
Feb 14, 2020
Hi All, if you call IRCC, do they give you application status update on Phone? or is it better to send them a request using Web form? or they just give the information what they want to and not the complete details regarding your application?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi All, if you call IRCC, do they give you application status update on Phone? or is it better to send them a request using Web form? or they just give the information what they want to and not the complete details regarding your application?
You can get a update, but not complete details.