+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship - Company Work Visa

kah2os333

Mar 18, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Here's my situation. I will be marrying a Canadian Citizen in July 2006 (I am USA Citizen in Wisconsin). The company I work for is obtaining a Visa for me so I can "work from home" while I live in Canada. The Visa will be good for "up to 2 years". I will reside in the USA until August 2006 and then move to the Winnipeg area. I have no dependent children.

Is it better for us to file the Spousal Sponsorship for Permanent Residency while I am a resident of USA or Canada? Or doesn't it make a difference? Any other advice for me? Do you have an estimate on processing times?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kah2os333 said:
Here's my situation. I will be marrying a Canadian Citizen in July 2006 (I am USA Citizen in Wisconsin). The company I work for is obtaining a Visa for me so I can "work from home" while I live in Canada. The Visa will be good for "up to 2 years". I will reside in the USA until August 2006 and then move to the Winnipeg area. I have no dependent children.

Is it better for us to file the Spousal Sponsorship for Permanent Residency while I am a resident of USA or Canada? Or doesn't it make a difference? Any other advice for me? Do you have an estimate on processing times?
1. The work from home visa is probably a non starter, never heard of it
2. The processing is your choice, an outside application through Buffalo, 6-16 months see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/05-fc-spouses.html#west You can (if admitted) remain in Canada as a visitor, not allowed to work or attend school during the processing.
an In-Canada application about 7-9 months to AIP at which time you can apply for open work permit. Processing then takes another 2+ months depending on your security background check.

PMM

kah2os333

Mar 18, 2006
Wisconsin, USA
Thanks for the quick response. The Visa will be a temporary work visa that is being obtained for me by my employer through immigration. I don't understand the term "non starter" .

I have one more question. When I receive a temporary work visa will that allow me to bring my belongings/household goods to my home in Canada?