+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship and work visa

BJS

Aug 8, 2007
I am an American who is married to a Canadian citizen. I have lived in Canada with my wife and 8 month old daughter for 9 months. My wife has FINALLY been approved from CIC to sponsor me.
The application for permanent residency has been forwarded to Buffalo, NY for processing.
I want to work soon and support my family. My question is this: Do I fall under the skilled worker for a job or is it different for a spousal sponsorship? Once I get my work visa, can I apply for any job or do I have to qualify under the skilled worker requirements? Any info would be of great help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

BJS said:
I am an American who is married to a Canadian citizen. I have lived in Canada with my wife and 8 month old daughter for 9 months. My wife has FINALLY been approved from CIC to sponsor me.
The application for permanent residency has been forwarded to Buffalo, NY for processing.
I want to work soon and support my family. My question is this: Do I fall under the skilled worker for a job or is it different for a spousal sponsorship? Once I get my work visa, can I apply for any job or do I have to qualify under the skilled worker requirements? Any info would be of great help.
As you are applying outside Canada, if you wish to work you must obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion from an employer, that HRSDC has certified that there are no Canadians PRs available for the work. Then you can apply at a Border Point for a work permit.

PMM