+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship

lita264

Feb 4, 2019
Hi, I have question about status changes from work Visa to permanent resident (sponsorship)
I've live in Canada close to 6 years, 3 years school and 3 years open work permit, my current work permit will expires in 5 months so I'm wondering whether I should extend my work permit before working on sponsorship applications, or sponsorship applications is the way to go or both at the same time ? And since we live in Quebec , the laws is a little different for sponsorship applications if I'm not wrong. I would really appreciate it if I could get some pointers of how to proceed.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi, I have question about status changes from work Visa to permanent resident (sponsorship)
I've live in Canada close to 6 years, 3 years school and 3 years open work permit, my current work permit will expires in 5 months so I'm wondering whether I should extend my work permit before working on sponsorship applications, or sponsorship applications is the way to go or both at the same time ? And since we live in Quebec , the laws is a little different for sponsorship applications if I'm not wrong. I would really appreciate it if I could get some pointers of how to proceed.
Hi

You have to actually qualify for a work permit extension. If you apply for inland sponsorship, you can include an OWP app.

It isn't really different except you have the extra step of applying for a CSQ.

lita264

Feb 4, 2019
Hi

You have to actually qualify for a work permit extension. If you apply for inland sponsorship, you can include an OWP app.

It isn't really different except you have the extra step of applying for a CSQ.
i see So it would be ok to combine open work extension app and inland sponsorship app together. and when you say I have to qualify for work permit extension , as in work contract with my employer and other criteria concerning my work ?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
i see So it would be ok to combine open work extension app and inland sponsorship app together. and when you say I have to qualify for work permit extension , as in work contract with my employer and other criteria concerning my work ?
You asked about applying for a work permit extension before applying for PR. PGWPs cannot be extended and there are VERY limited circumstances in which a person qualifies for an open work permit. A work contract is not enough; your employer would need a positive LMIA as well.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#work