+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship responsibility

BeMusedAngel

Aug 21, 2009
Hello to everyone.. In 2004, I married my American fiancee, who, obviously is now my husband. We completed the immigration process, and in late 2007 he became a permanent resident of Canada with myself as his sponsor. When we applied, we filled out all the paperwork showing we had a relationship and it wasn't just to get him in the country and all, and I remember agreeing to be responsible for him. I'm not sure exactly what my responsibilities might be now. He is a trucker, and met someone on facebook. He left me and all our bills, etc, and changed his mind about supporting me at all. Am I still responsible for him now? I don't see how I can be since I have no idea where he is at any given time. Any information or links would be much appreciated.. Thanks!

MARLENA

Mar 24, 2009
Your responsibility toward him as a sponsor is 3 years I believe from the day he land.
If the marriage failed you still responsible for him until the 3 years is over.
Good luck!!!

BeMusedAngel

Aug 21, 2009
Thanks for the info.. I appreciate it.. It looks like I'm up a creek without a paddle. He's working, that isn't an issue right now at least..

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Marlena is correct here..I would consult a lawyer and see what your legal ramifications are. If you are planning to separate, divorce, then you should get something in writing calling for financial restitution of some sort, should he file for s.a. , I would not leave it to chance, simply because 'he is working'.

...Sorry to hear of your situation. If you are legally separated, then you need to get something in writing (legally) to document this situation and protect yourself, as you will be responsible for him until the undertaking has expired (you have a year or so to go).

BeMusedAngel

Aug 21, 2009
Thanks to all who responded.. I kinda figured that talking with a lawyer is going to be the way to go. It just really stinks, because, yes we are getting a divorce. He met someone on facebook, and left me with all the bills as well as house etc. What really stinks is that he knew my job was ending 2 weeks after he left. Its not easy trying to pay double the bills when you make half the paycheck. I don't even know now if he was lying all the way through. I guess I should have listened when the immigration officer in Windsor told me that I didn't have to go through with the process if I didn't want him over here.. Live and learn, I guess

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BeMusedAngel said:
I guess I should have listened when the immigration officer in Windsor told me that I didn't have to go through with the process if I didn't want him over here.. Live and learn, I guess
Very sorry to hear about your situation. But why would the immigration officer say you 'didn't have to go through with it'?? Was there something fishy from the outset?

Alice100

Star Member
Aug 23, 2009
Ottawa
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi Office
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 08, 2009
Doc's Request.
Sept 2009 and March 28, 2011
AOR Received.
Nov 2009
File Transfer...
Sept 2009
Med's Request
March 28, 2011
Med's Done....
May 4 and May 18, 2011
Passport Req..
March 28 but sent on May 26, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
June 05, 2011
LANDED..........
July 12, 2011
Hi Angel:

I am not sure what the immigration law regarding sponsorship in 2004 was when you sponsored your husband. You are responsible for your husband for the number of years per your sponsoring agreement. Having said that, if your husband is working, and you are legally married, he is responsible for both you and your children (considering there are legally his). Since you just indicated that your job is ending in 2 weeks, I am assuming that you do not have money to hire a lawyer. I am recommending that you visit the community centre next to you, talk to a Social Worker so that they can assist you to secure child support and/or spousal support.

Since your husband is working, he is responsible for supporting you. You will be responsible for supporting him if he was not working irrespective of whether he is still living with you or not. (as per no. of years on the sponsoring agreement) I used to be a Social Worker and worked a lot with women in your situation.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

BeMusedAngel

Aug 21, 2009
Ariell- I'm not sure why the immigration officer said what she did to me. I had to come from home to the Windsor/Detroit border in the middle of the night to get my husband, since he had not done the things that he was asked to do the last time he had to get a visitor's permit. Perhaps something that transpired before I got there led her to believe that he was playing games or something. I honestly don't know.

BeMusedAngel

Aug 21, 2009
Alice100, thanks for your suggestion. Actually, however, my job ended in April, he left me (told me over the phone) two weeks before that. I've been living on my unemployment since then. He had agreed to keep his checks in the bank till I started school. He changed his mind however, and just cut them off the first of July. I spoke with a family lawyer, and he said that since we had not been together very long, I would not get much support. We have no kids together either, so there is no responsibility that way. Is there any point in doing any more investigating into this? He called the other day, and is apparently going to take over the car payments, so that could be considered support.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you say he left all the debts and bills, he would be responsible for common debts that you had together for stuff that you did together. Say you took a vacation on a credit card, then he should have to pay half of that but if you bought a dining room set on a credit card and you still have that and plan to keep it, of course he wouldn't be held to keep making the payments for that. You are supposed to split all your debts and assets equally. As for supporting you, I am not sure how the law works with that. If they lawyer said you wouldn't get much, he is probably right but you could try a 2nd opinion.