+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring US common-law from US

nootka

Jan 16, 2007
I am dual Canadian/US citizen, living for the past 4 years in US with US common-law boyfriend. We are thinking about moving to Canada in the next couple of years. We do not have a lot of money and I do not have a job lined up in Canada.

Would it grease the wheels at all to get honest-to-god married? We're not opposed, just lazy. It doesn't seem like we'd have any problem being qualified as common-law, but bureaucrats love paperwork.

If we did get married, would it be better to do it in Canada(or could we even do that, him being US??)

Is it easier/cheaper for me to sponsor him from Canada or the US?

If we both moved to Canada, then applied for sponsorship, how long until he would be able to work? Could he simultaneously have a work permit? Would my moderately low income(I'm in food service) be a problem?

Thanks.

ANDY CAPP

Jan 13, 2007
Common-law and marriage is supposed to be the same status, however, marriage does give you documentation. Before doing anything, make sure you do not have any blemishes on your background search. Even a DUI can prevent you from entering Canada. Also look check Canada Immigration website for approximate times to process your application. If it were me, I would apply now maintaining my job(s) in the U.S. and make your decision once you are approved. It may take longer applying from outside of Canada, but you are not displaced in the event your application gets held up.

Good luck!