+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring my Father to live within our house

Olliesj

Feb 4, 2006
CANADA
this is the first time I have asked any questions so I do not know if this is the right place - BUT HOW DO I START THE PROCESS TO SONSOR MY FATHER TO LIVE IN CANADA AND QUICKLY?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Olliesj said:
this is the first time I have asked any questions so I do not know if this is the right place - BUT HOW DO I START THE PROCESS TO SONSOR MY FATHER TO LIVE IN CANADA AND QUICKLY?
It is not going to happen quickly, you are looking at somewhere between 3 and 5 years depending on where he lives. You can start at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/applications/family.html For processing times see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times/process%2Din.html#perm_res 26/27 months for processing at Mississauga and then the overseas processing. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/times-int/08-fc-parents.html

PMM

Olliesj

Feb 4, 2006
CANADA
i AM NOT SURE WHETHER YOU HAVE MY QUESTIONS FROM BEFORE SO i AM REPLYING TO YOU AGAIN. MY FATHER WILL BE FINANCIALLY INDEPENDANT DUE TO THE MONEY HE HAS IN ENGLAND - IS THERE A QUICKER WAY HE COULD COME AND LIVE HERE WITHOUT ME SPONSORING HIM? HE IS IN EXCELLANT HEALTH AND STILL OWNS A 4 BEDROOM HOUSE WHICH HE IS PLANNING TO SELL.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Olliesj said:
i AM NOT SURE WHETHER YOU HAVE MY QUESTIONS FROM BEFORE SO i AM REPLYING TO YOU AGAIN. MY FATHER WILL BE FINANCIALLY INDEPENDANT DUE TO THE MONEY HE HAS IN ENGLAND - IS THERE A QUICKER WAY HE COULD COME AND LIVE HERE WITHOUT ME SPONSORING HIM? HE IS IN EXCELLANT HEALTH AND STILL OWNS A 4 BEDROOM HOUSE WHICH HE IS PLANNING TO SELL.
No, unless he applys for PR under one of the business classes. He could come as visitor, but anything more than a year would be unlikely and he would be responsible for his own medical.

PMM

Olliesj

Feb 4, 2006
CANADA
I FORGOT TO THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION YOU SENT ME BEFOREHAND. AS I LIVE IN TORONTO WHERE SHOULD GO TO GET THESE APPLICATIONS WITHOUT DOWNLOADING THEM.? AND WHERE SHOULD MY FATHER APPLY IN ENGLAND - HE LIVES IN THE SOUTH WEST OF ENGLAND IN BATH SOMERSET.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Olliesj said:
WHAT DOES A PERMANANT RESIDENT IMPLY AND HOW WOULD HE GO ABOUT THAT?
Read www.cic.gc.ca all the information is there, and check the visa office section to see where how your father can order forms.

PMM

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
You do need to sit down and read through the information on the CIC website a couple of times first. Everything you need to know is there.

But I get the impression you don't have the patience or the inclination to do so perhaps. In that case you need to hire an Immigration consultant to do things for you. It's your choice.

While the process is going on your Father could come and stay with you for periods of up to 6 months at a time without any difficulties. He would simply enter Canada as a tourist. The problem with that is where does he live the other 6 months if he sells his house etc.

You really can't rush this process and you have to take the time to sit down and think everything through carefully before starting to do anything.

Angie

Jan 12, 2006
I'm not so sure an immigration consultant is always the best answer. Why pay one if you dont have to? They can cost thousands of dollars to complete applications you can fill in yourself.

My family came to Canada and I completed my own application, a friend of mine paid 4000 pounds to a consultant to do the same thing I did and I got my visa within 12 months.

My mother came over to visit, and the long term plan was for her to stay she was going to go through the sponsorship from outside Canada.

I would be asking what ties your father has back at home, we sponsored my mother from within Canada under Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds and she was accepted. The finances made a big factor as she was not and has never been financially dependant on the Canadian welfare system and that is their biggest concern when considering these cases.

Be wary of people who always seem to point people towards consultants/lawyers. I agree they have a valuable part to play, but my friend saw a lawyer who gave him the big story of how he would get him a visa for sure etc etc .... then when the money was handed over he was told he would have to pay an extra 500 pounds if he was successful. And before anyone comes back with any smart comments .... the lawer was and still is a highly respected one and regulated.

Always explore all avenues before handing over your hard earned cash. I spoke with one guy who gave me advice over the phone, a half hour chat for 100 pounds and then said it would be 250 for each half hour after that. I called him from UK to Toronto and he was nationally advertised. In the end I got so many different stories I took the risk and did it myself.

The forms are easy to fill in and why pay out if you dont have to. You just need to be sure you can afford to make the move and that you have all the information you need. It can take hours and hours to go through these forums asking questions, but it may be worth it. You also get conflicting answers, some people wont be honest, others appear to be on some sort of crusade ...... You need impartial advice and help.

All I did was look at the forms and thought how I could evidence each question asked. Then I did my research, if I got conflicting answers I explored further. I spoke with CIC direct I even travelled to London and went into the Canadian Embassy. They had no financial motive in their response. At the end of the day if you can do it great, but if you cant .... why pay soemone who gives no guarentees.

Good luck, I think you can do it just ask ask ask ... and dont give too much money up easily!! you can find people with honesty and integrity who will help for free or a minimal fee.

If its a question you have, then it costs nothing to answer for free, if it involves someones expertise that they have paid money to learn or gather over years of experience, then fair enough they should charge a fee for that, but it doesnt mean you have to pay if you dont need to.

Best of luck I hope it works out for you.

Olliesj

Feb 4, 2006
CANADA
Thank you 'Angie' I needed that as I am only just beginning to look into this (my Father called me about a week ago and said he was ready to come and join us here - he is 84 and has no family left and I am his only daughter - yes he is financially able to take care of himself). Did I read it right when you said your Mother was able to stay with a visa until the sponsorship came through? I would be interested in this.

Angie

Jan 12, 2006
Hi Olliesj

Yeah my mum was able to stay and she just kept extending her visitor visa.

I will tell you more privately by PM about our experience, I dont want to go upsetting some of the guys on this board who like to think they know ALL the answers. Yes BC Bound, that means you too.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:D You are right Angie about being careful when you hire a lawyer or a consultant. The best way to hire one is through reference, someone who has been throught the process.

What you are saying is like saying well you don't need a doctor, just get a medical book, look up your problem and then heal yourself. It may work for some but not the majority.

Not everyone will do what you did and travel to get answers. Many don't understand and cannot read forms. I had many come to me to check their applications and I had to redo them completely or partially and docuements missing etc. It's easy to say to someone that they don't need someone and if that were true then they wouldn't exist.

As there are bad doctors. there are bad lawyers and consultants but the way you talk its as if all of them are. It isn't true. There are more good ones than bad ones only we never hear about them in the news. Only the bad ones we hear about. Why? Because no one is interested in hearing good things about people. Sensenalisim is what sells..not the goody two shoes.

You have to be careful what you say. What is easy for you, may not be for someone else and many don't speak the language either. Like money, doctors, lawyers etc are needed and like money..which can be dirty..some are also..but not the majority.

As for Bounce, he is just needing to release his frustrations, a man who says that a husband isn't responsible for his family, well we can imagine what he is like and am sure everyone here knows it to..except ...him :wink:

Angie

Jan 12, 2006
Dancing Feather, you are right and I apologise.

I didnt mean to generalise and there are good and bad in every proffession. A true good consultant will not put fear into the applicant that without their help they will surely fail. Those are then money motivated.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:D Meegwetch Angie, you are a very loving person to appologize and I appreciate it very much.

:D It is absolutely true, never did I do such a thing. I would talk to the person first, I would tell them how much I wanted and that it was that price, nothing changed and I worked as if it was for myself. I pride myself in doing thing perfectly and I have done many clients which arrived and had absolutely no money and not one wanted to help them. Well I did and not very long ago, one of them called me up to tell me that he had some funds for me. I had forgotten him completely because I never worry about money.

:D I just got a call today from someone needing me who was referred to me. See what I mean..you give out and Kijé Manito (God) gives you back..all the time.

:? Yes, I get very angry when I hear stories like that and many have come to me in desparation because before the law, anyone could do it and so many were scammed. Now u need a liscence and if u r not on the list then they return the application back and many times the money to pay the first round..had not even been sent!! I took many cases where it was really pitiful but I straightend them out and I was satisfied with the smile and joy on their faces.

Olliesj

Feb 4, 2006
CANADA
OK I came down with a virus during last week and could not proceed with the questions. I have read all the info though and I am concerned that I may not be able to get my dad here before we can have a reasonable time together. As I said before he is 84 and although very healthy one never knows!!!! He is extremely well off and even more so once he can sell his house.
questions -
1. How long can he stay on a passport?

2. If he gets an extension what are the chances of it being more than a year and then how long after he returns to the UK could he come back to Canada?

3.a completely different subject - My Husband is Canadian born but his MOTHER was a UK CItizen. COULD HE BECOME A UK CITIZEN BEING MARRIED TO ME (BORN IN UK AND VERY BRITISH)?

As you can see I am trying look at all angles as I am an ONLY CHILD.