+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring family member....question.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am a canadian citizen. Currently I am working temporarily, as a contractor in the united states. I got married in the united states, and now I want to sponsor my wife to canada. I have filled all the forms for sponsor (Me) and my wife. Basically, I need someone to give me a final advise and see if I am missing anything. I will real appreciate your comments/inputs/suggestions.

So, here's what I have done/gathered so far:

Sponsor (Me):
- IMM 1344A (Application to sponsor and undertaking)
- IMM 5540 (Sponsor Questionnaire)
- IMM 5481 (Sponsorship Evaluation)
- IMM 1344B (Sponsorship agreement) Signed by my wife too.
----------------
My wife:
- IMM 0008 Schedual 1 (Background / Declaration)
- IMM 5406 (Additional Family Information.)
- IMM 0008 Generic (Application for permanent residence in canada)
- IMM 5490 (Sponsored spouse/partner questionnaire)
-----------------
Supplementary documentations:
- Marriage certificate
- Police Certificate: (Fingerprints certified by FBI) : I sent the finger print, obtained from a local police department along with the form PC-1 RPC. When I recieved the police certificate, the PC-1 form which I had sent originally, wasn't included. So, I am wondering if I need to include PC-1 form along with my application, or not? Please comment on this...
- Letter of employment.
- Photo copy of my:
- Citizenship card (both sides)
- Passport
- My wife's passport
- Other supplementary documents, photocopes, photoes and etc...
- Income tax return from year 2006. I don't have option C. I just have the notice of asessement from year 2006. Is that good enought? (Also as a side question: Can/should I include US income tax papers, or not?)

- Do I need to fill out the following forms:
- For me (Sponsor) : IMM-5490 (Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union)?????
- For me or my wife: IMM-5476 (Use of a Representative) I don't think so, but just wanted to confirm.

I will really appreciate your comments and advise. I thank you in advance.

Regards,

Gdaymate

Star Member
Sep 26, 2007
Hi Toledo

I can answer your last 2 questions:

No, you don't need to fill out the Stat Dec of Common-law Union (you're married for starters! but it's actually to do with co-signers and that doesn't apply in your case)
No, you don't need to fill that out unless you have an agent/consultant/lawyer etc who will need authorisation to act on your behalf.

Hope that helps

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Thanks alot mate, appreicate that.

I will wait for others to make a comment on my other questions.

Thanks,

Frustrated Canadian

Oct 30, 2007
They ask for an option-C so you should give them an Option-C. They provide a number to call in order to get it, it comes within a week or two and it's free. Is it from 2006 you need it or 2007?

Have you called CIC and asked them your questions? every once and a while someone who can help answers.

I believe that the Police Certificate is enough - no need to include another form since it was only needed to obtain the certificate.

Have you completed medicals? They request that as well, no?

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Thanks; appreciate your comment.

I can't reach the number, since I am outside Canada. I tried to contact the councelor in US, Washington, Buffalo, but I didn't have no luck.

I have the medical exam appointment this week.

I have one more question.

About the fee payment: All those figures are in Canadian Dollar. But, since I am in U.S. I have to pay the fees in U.S. Currency. I am planning to pay the fees online, on the internet. I have a U.S. account, which means, all the fees will be as U.S. So, my question is, how do I make the payment (U.S. vs Canadian currency) How should I calculate the correct amount in Canadian Dollar?

Can you please advise...

Thanks alot...

Toledo

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toledo said:
Thanks; appreciate your comment.

I can't reach the number, since I am outside Canada. I tried to contact the councelor in US, Washington, Buffalo, but I didn't have no luck.

I have the medical exam appointment this week.

I have one more question.

About the fee payment: All those figures are in Canadian Dollar. But, since I am in U.S. I have to pay the fees in U.S. Currency. I am planning to pay the fees online, on the internet. I have a U.S. account, which means, all the fees will be as U.S. So, my question is, how do I make the payment (U.S. vs Canadian currency) How should I calculate the correct amount in Canadian Dollar?

Can you please advise...

Thanks alot...

Toledo
1. Look at the Buffalo web site, it gives the fees in US and Canadian$ If you are trying to pay on line through Missisauga (good luck) you can only pay in Canadian.

PMM