+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Common-Law Partner

musetta

Feb 5, 2007
Hello,

I am sponsoring my common-law partner from Italy. I am a Canadian citizen (born). We have been together for six years. We had lived together when I had moved to Italy for a year and 4 months. I moved back to Canada in 2003 and returned to work full time once again. We finally decided that Canada would be our home. We are getting married in August 2007. I have a couple of questions:

1) Italy does not need Visas to come to Canada, so if I send in the application this week (Feb 9th), how long would it take to process? How long does it take to receive an acknowledgement letter by mail in regards to the application?

2) If it takes longer then August, can he still come to Canada to get married even though I have filed the application in February?

3) If it does take longer must we send any additional papers to reflect our married status, or is there no need since I sent the application in February?

I hope I have made sense. I am trying to figure out the best way possible to do this and what would take the least amount of time. If I wait until we get married I would still need to wait three months for the marriage certificate before I could send my papers (depending if I could get it sooner due to reasons), which means he can't work, so he would want to stay in Italy until he can, which means being distant yet once again. By sending it in now, by June or July he could be here, in time!!! HOPEFULLY!!!!!

Would anyone know?????????

Greatly appreciate any feedback! :)