+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a gf

Lisa May

Feb 13, 2008
I am a Filipina, 22 years of age, with a Canadian boyfriend living in Calgary, Alberta. He's 46 with 2 kids. He is legally separated to his wife for 8 years now and he's planning to get a divorce. I've been applying for a job to a lot of Canadian companies through workopolis.com, calgaryjobshop.ca, monster.com and through recruitment agencies here as well but it's been like 5 months now and no one called me for anything. I have a bachelor degree in Computer Engineering which is a 5 year course here in the Philippines. I am a Level 2 Technical Support for QuickBooks for a year and 4 months now but no one seems to be interested on my skills. I applied for a temporary resident visa to visit him but it was refused because of the general 9 reasons but the visa officer did not specify what is the main reason out of those 9 why my application got refused.

So now, me and bf are thinking of other means for me to get there.

We met through the internet and been chatting for a year now, I've seen him and his kids through pictures and through webcam. Him and my mom also saw each other on webcam. We do understand that we only have two options for me to get in Canada, either get married or get there as a skilled worker (which is not really working). So we got down to the getting married portion. We are considering that as our last option since we haven't met in person yet. We do love each other so much but we just don't wanna rush things.

Is there any other way that he could sponsor or get me here without us getting married?

PLEASE HELP

Rahimi

Star Member
Jan 24, 2008
Simple is tell your bf to come to your country and get married and then start processing your application in immigration office in canada then after 2 or 1 months if your sponsorship approved they will forward ur application to ur country in embassy canada.

i think within 4 or 3 months u will be with ur husband don't worry its the easy way as i am telling u. there is no any other option.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Lisa May

Why don't you think you would qualify as a skilled worker? Have you taken the skills assessment?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assess/index.asp

tamee

Jul 25, 2007
Lisa, if you do not qualify as a skilled worker then you will either have to marry your BF or live together for 12 consecutive months in order to be considered common law. that is your only option.

Lisa May

Feb 13, 2008
Thaiguy,

I took the assessment, I only got 63. I think the passing grade is 67. I don't have any arranged employment and the only family that I have in there is my bf but that's it. I think I would pass that assessment if it weren't for those two things that I just mentioned.

Any other ideas, Thaiguy?

Thanks,
Lisa May

Lisa May

Feb 13, 2008
Tamee,

Thanks for the advice.

Does anybody knows an employer or a recruitment agency that will hire me in any type of job? I am willing to be hired as anything so I could get there. I am so desperate.

PLEASE HELP

Thanks,
Lisa May

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Lisa May said:
Thaiguy,

I took the assessment, I only got 63. I think the passing grade is 67. I don't have any arranged employment and the only family that I have in there is my bf but that's it. I think I would pass that assessment if it weren't for those two things that I just mentioned.

Any other ideas, Thaiguy?

Thanks,
Lisa May
Just wait another year or two and you should have enough points from work experience.

Lisa May

Feb 13, 2008
If me and my BF will be living together for 12 consecutive months, does it matter where we live together?

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
doesnt matter where you and your boyfriend live for 12 months but i guess he will not be ready to stay 12 months in your country there are many reason , for him job problem his kids school and maybe more ,
so the best and easy way is get marry and you will get visa with in year other wise i dont see any other way , forget about work visa it will not work as you said you sent emails or CV to some compnies and no reply from them its normal they will not reply because there are many people in canada already who need these jobs so they preffer PR or citizen,

maroraza

Star Member
Jan 11, 2008
wait another two years :) dont scare her

Just wait another year or two and you should have enough points from work experience.
[/quote]

Pearlp

Feb 11, 2008
she can not realy get married since it takes about 2 years to able to get a divorce here. and if her bf's wife refuses to give him a divorce then it may take longer than that.
It took 2 years for my divorce to get finalised. We seperated in 1999 october we had to wait for the one year seperation. but in that time we did needed to go to court to get the custody aranged. and after one year of seperation my ex ask for a divorce but it took the court one year to finalise it.

So i think for you you will have to wait a long time.
Unless you want to apply for a nany position. Or your bf could help you get a job if he asks around.

Pearl