+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored person applying from within Canada..or not

Kaonashi

Feb 11, 2008
Osaka, Japan
Hello!

I am Canadian married to a Japanese, currently living and working in Japan with my wife.
We are about to start the sponsorship process, but we haven't decided yet of what would be better.. Could you guys help me out a little?
We decided not to be separated for too long, so we have basically 2 choices.
1) Apply from Japan, my wife's file should then be processed in Manila.
2) Since my job is not good in Japan, and I have the possibility of having something much better in Canada (province of Quebec) and my wife will stop working in September, we thought that we might apply directly in Canada. My wife would then be on a visitor visa for few months.

The sencond way has some advantages, like me having a better job and a better salary.. But I am aware that it would actually take less time if the file is processed in Manila..
My wife doesn't mind being on a visitor visa for a while, she can use that time to study French and improve her English. But what she worries about is being without a passport during the processing.
I was wondering how it is done when doing the whole process within Canada.. For how long will they keep her passport away?
I heard that if you send it to Manila from Japan it can take over a months before you see your passport again, but if you do it within Canada can you get it faster, since you have the possibility to go to the visa office and pick it up by yourself?

Thank you for your help!
It is my first post, but I guess I should be around here quite often from now.

See you!

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I don't understand the problem. Your wife is worried about her passport being out of her hands for just one month? How is that a hardship?

In any case, your wife could go to the embassy in question and have her passport stamped within a day or two.

Kaonashi

Feb 11, 2008
Osaka, Japan
Thank you thaiguy for the reply.

My wife worries about the passport if we decide to apply from inside Canada.
She worries that if something happens to her family (sickness, death, etc..) while she doesn't have her passport, she wouldn't be able to go back to Japan right away.
So if we apply from within Canada, her as a visitor, when it's time to get the visa in her passport, she will be able to get it in 1 or 2 days if we go directly to the office?

Will it be a problem for her if she gets out of Canada and comes back during the process?

Thank you