+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsor my Spouse (husband) on a family class visa

Gurgatta

Sep 10, 2011
Hello there,

Pls be advised that I got married this January and now want to sponsor my spouse to come to Canada. I'm a Canadian Citizen & for the last three years have mostly lived out of Canada, in India & USA due to some unavoidable circumstances, had lost a family member and his children needed looking after. I had sponsored my parents earlier and my undertaking is still in effect for the next five yrs. They have never taken financial assistance from the Canadian govt and lived in India for the last 3 yrs. Now my parents and I are in USA, we just got here from India & I'm pregnant. A relative of our's is providing room and board for us in USA. I was thinking of having my baby in the USA since someone is supporting us here and it'd be hard for us to move to Canada rt now..my parents are seniors and can't work and my condition doesn't permit me to travel & work either. My father is seriously ill and we are looking at getting myself & him some sort of health insurance in the USA. If we are able to get that done then we plan on staying here until after the baby is born else we'll have to move back to Canada right away as my father and I both need medical care urgently.

I also want to get the sponsorship process started now. I understand that one needs to show the employment status in the last 5 yrs on the sponsorship application. Now I worked in Canada until 3 yrs ago but not since then. And every yr when we did our taxes, I showed no income. I've no employment income to show in the last 3 yrs.

I will try to show a good bank balance in my Canadian account as well, around $15000 or so. And I'm being offered a job here..p/t but that's on Cash. My parents have never been a burden on me and would probably not even live in Canada, may stay on in USA or go back to India or even if they choose to live in Canada will be supported by my brother who lives in USA. Our relative who is helping us out is willing to provide us with a letter of support if need be.

I intend to live in Canada once my husband lands there.
What sort of a proof will I have to show to CIC that I intend to live there once my husband arrives? I plan to go to Canada once the baby is born which is like 4 months away. I could then definitely show a rent receipt proving my residence.

My question is "will the CIC office accept this scenario-that of my living exclusively out of Canada and sponsoring my spouse"? Would it be a better option to move back to Canada now and do my sponsorship from there? What about income as I currently don't have a job but yes can show bank balance to prove that I could take care of my husband's basic needs. We both are educated and will actively look for work once we are there, I always had a job while I was there.

Pls advice at your earliest possible convenience, your help is much much appreciated.

Thanks so much

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
Hi there,

Since you are a citizen, I believe you can sponsor your husband while staying in the US.

Your income is not really an issue, but you must clearly show to the VO how you intend to support yourselves afterwards.

A job offer in Canada might show that you intend to settle in Canada. But remember that cases have been rejected where the VO felt that there was no clear intention to settle in Canada.

I encourage you to read this post: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/spousal-sponsorship-t46995.0.html

These are the online guides for PR: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Hope this helps :)

Shamsia.

Gurgatta

Sep 10, 2011
Thanks so much, I guess the best bet would be to be physically present in Canada and start the sponsorship process or I could rent a place to live and show them the proof.

You've been a great help. Thanks so much.
:)

shamsia

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2011
Visa Office......
New Delhi
App. Filed.......
30-06-2011
File Transfer...
31-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-06-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2012
LANDED..........
April 6th, 2012
Gurgatta said:
Thanks so much, I guess the best bet would be to be physically present in Canada and start the sponsorship process or I could rent a place to live and show them the proof.

You've been a great help. Thanks so much.
:)
You are welcome! Any questions, just ask away. There are many more knowledgeable people here who would be happy to help. :)

Dec 12, 2018
Hello there,

Pls be advised that I got married this January and now want to sponsor my spouse to come to Canada. I'm a Canadian Citizen & for the last three years have mostly lived out of Canada, in India & USA due to some unavoidable circumstances, had lost a family member and his children needed looking after. I had sponsored my parents earlier and my undertaking is still in effect for the next five yrs. They have never taken financial assistance from the Canadian govt and lived in India for the last 3 yrs. Now my parents and I are in USA, we just got here from India & I'm pregnant. A relative of our's is providing room and board for us in USA. I was thinking of having my baby in the USA since someone is supporting us here and it'd be hard for us to move to Canada rt now..my parents are seniors and can't work and my condition doesn't permit me to travel & work either. My father is seriously ill and we are looking at getting myself & him some sort of health insurance in the USA. If we are able to get that done then we plan on staying here until after the baby is born else we'll have to move back to Canada right away as my father and I both need medical care urgently.

I also want to get the sponsorship process started now. I understand that one needs to show the employment status in the last 5 yrs on the sponsorship application. Now I worked in Canada until 3 yrs ago but not since then. And every yr when we did our taxes, I showed no income. I've no employment income to show in the last 3 yrs.

I will try to show a good bank balance in my Canadian account as well, around $15000 or so. And I'm being offered a job here..p/t but that's on Cash. My parents have never been a burden on me and would probably not even live in Canada, may stay on in USA or go back to India or even if they choose to live in Canada will be supported by my brother who lives in USA. Our relative who is helping us out is willing to provide us with a letter of support if need be.

I intend to live in Canada once my husband lands there.
What sort of a proof will I have to show to CIC that I intend to live there once my husband arrives? I plan to go to Canada once the baby is born which is like 4 months away. I could then definitely show a rent receipt proving my residence.

My question is "will the CIC office accept this scenario-that of my living exclusively out of Canada and sponsoring my spouse"? Would it be a better option to move back to Canada now and do my sponsorship from there? What about income as I currently don't have a job but yes can show bank balance to prove that I could take care of my husband's basic needs. We both are educated and will actively look for work once
You are welcome! Any questions, just ask away. There are many more knowledgeable people here who would be happy to help. :)
Hello,,, I am Canadian citizen now.... And I want to sponsor my wife in Canada.... Last year we married in Dubai.... And I hve a proof of marriage.... Pls guide me