+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponorship within or from outside Canada? Pls help

skyie

Jan 22, 2007
My husband and I want to relocate to Montreal. He is a UK and Canadian national (but has never lived in Canada). I am a UK national.

We have assets in the UK - house etc - which we want to sell, go travelling for a few months and then start a new life in Montreal. We want to embark on our journey asap.

Should we apply for sponorship under family class from the UK first or arrive in Canada and take care of the paperwork once we are there? He should be able to start work right away (as soon as he's found a job) as he is a Canadian citizen. Would I be allowed to work while my application is being considered? What if I came on a temporary worker visa - can I maintain that status while PR is being considered?

Any help and advise gratefully received! Thanks in advance

skyie

Jan 22, 2007
As an extra question to my above post -

If we applied from within Canada and I had to wait to receive my Approval In Principle before commencing work - could we make the move first, lodge the application and go travelling while it was being processed? (are you allowed to leave the country while the application is in progress)

Very confused... thanks in advance for any help

istonish

Feb 5, 2007
Hi,

I you apply from within Canada everything goes slower since the Immigration proccesing oficce is not in rush to bring you guys together.

The spose who is not Canadian citizen, has no right to obtain a working permit, also no education or Service medical Plan MSP. You still can study as an international Student and also you get privat emergency medical coverage which costs three times higher than MSP.

Pls do not make the same mistake I did.

Apply from Uk...and also you can live and work there till you are granted PR Status.

My wife who is swiss citizen is paying more than 150$ a month instead of 54$ for Privat Emergency Medical coverage, and also is paying a very high price for her schooling as an International Student which is 5 times higher....

Regards,

Rick

istonish

Feb 5, 2007
You are allowed to leave Canada .....but I dont think you will be able to stay on vacation that long more than 10 months while you application is in procces.

Rick