Ivric

Sep 27, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi.
Do suggest and clarify my doubts.
We are married couple. Husband stays in Canada on PGWP. I am in India. We applied for PR under Express Entry CEC. Medicals are approved and being processed further.

My question here is, can I apply SOWP at this point of time and come to Canada before PR gets issued?
Thanks in Advance and would appreciate your advice.

Ivric

Sep 27, 2017
Toronto
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
Hi.
We are married couple. Husband stays in Canada on PGWP. I am in India. We applied for PR under Express Entry CEC. Medicals are approved and being processed further.

My question here is, can I apply SOWP at this point of time and come to Canada before PR gets issued?
Seniors please advise..

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi.

Your eligibility for an SOWP would be based on his current status as a PGWP holder. He would have to be currently employed in a skilled occupation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program.html#cons11

"Spouses or common-law partners of post-graduation work permit holders
If the principal applicant is a holder of an open work permit (e.g., post-graduation work permit, Working Holiday work permit), their spouse or common-law partner who is applying for the C41 exemption will need to attach a copy of the principal applicant’s work permit to their own application for an open work permit, along with proof that the principal applicant is employed in an occupation in skill level 0, A or B. The applicant’s spouse or common-law partner will also need to provide information about the principal applicant’s employment by attaching supporting documents, including the following:
  • a letter from their current employer confirming employment or a copy of their employment offer or contract
  • a copy of 3 of their pay stubs"
Having said that, it is sometimes difficult for spouses to get an SOWP with a pending PR application. You would have to be honest about "dual intent" - there's nothing wrong with that, it is permitted, but the VOs would be concerned about your willingness to leave Canada if your PR application is refused and your temporary status expires. When you complete the work permit application, you have to answer questions from a "temporary" perspective, and (a ) prove that you have ties to your home country (family, property, employment) and (b) that you understand that you have to leave Canada at the end of your authorized period.

You can only try -