+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sole proprietors or corparation

junetzd

Nov 4, 2007
Hi,

I landed at Vancouvor in Sept 2007. As the only child of my family, I have to stay back in my country to take care of my parents, cos they are not feeling well recently. And also I am doing consulting which has a very good market in my country now. I heard if I open a consulting service company in CA, then I can send myself back to my home country and continue my consulting freelancing. Is that possible? any preparation I should do for this? Shall I open a sole proprietors or corparation? I have not seen many discussions on this topics online. Thanks.

junet

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

junetzd said:
Hi,

I landed at Vancouvor in Sept 2007. As the only child of my family, I have to stay back in my country to take care of my parents, cos they are not feeling well recently. And also I am doing consulting which has a very good market in my country now. I heard if I open a consulting service company in CA, then I can send myself back to my home country and continue my consulting freelancing. Is that possible? any preparation I should do for this? Shall I open a sole proprietors or corparation? I have not seen many discussions on this topics online. Thanks.

junet

Nice try, but no cigar read the following:

Residency Obligation

Canadian business
61. (1) Subject to subsection (2), for the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act and of this section, a Canadian business is

(a) a corporation that is incorporated under the laws of Canada or of a province and that has an ongoing operation in Canada;

(b) an enterprise, other than a corporation described in paragraph (a), that has an ongoing operation in Canada and

(i) that is capable of generating revenue and is carried on in anticipation of profit, and

(ii) in which a majority of voting or ownership interests is held by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or Canadian businesses as defined in this subsection; or

(c) an organization or enterprise created by the laws of Canada or a province.

Exclusion
(2) For greater certainty, a Canadian business does not include a business that serves primarily to allow a permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada.

PMM