Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
8/8/2010 Full docs submitted
IELTS Request
Submitted
Hi,
When I started to plan for immigration, education was the primary reason. After doing a strenuous research I found that Canadian Universities have very high standards (at least for entrance) to Graduate studies. In Australia, education is commercialized and getting admitted in a top class university is pretty simple. But I find it very difficult in Canada, the entry percentages are very high, and much of the programs are geared towards research and not professional development. Can anyone point out a university in Canada that gives professional development program in computer science/software engineering at the graduate level. I have completed my bachelor in computer engineering in the lower end of the first division and have almost four years of work experience. Also how to get into good colleges with lower grades in bachelors. Is GRE compulsory? I have a good IELTS with all bands over 7.

Please help

Thanks in advance

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Yes, most unis, especially the better ones will require a good GRE score and a good undergraduate GPA. Some may even require recommendation letters from yr ex professors or lecturers.

There are usually 2 choices of graduate level programs available, u can choose to do a research based grad degree or a course work graduate degree. Its all dependent on what the offerings are in the respective programs in the computer science department. U would have to check out the university dept websites individually.

Your ILETS score shouldnt be a problem with band 7 across the board as most grad schools require above 7 and u are fine with these requirement.

nitroxn

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Submitted
Can you please suggest an average university that one can be admitted without much hassle. Universities in Australia are so easy to apply.. why not similar in Canada. I cannot understand.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Its a simple reason, canadian unis are higher standards than in australia. I have degrees from US, Canada, Australia, and Hong Kong. I can tell u that Canadian unis are the highest in standards and toughest to graduate in general (of course, not comparing with Ivy Leagues from US unis), while Hong Kong comes next and then US and finally Australian ones (personal point of view, in general). That is one simple reason why Aussies unis are easier to enter and also graduate while Canadian ones require tougher entry requirements. Also, canadian unis are generally of equal standards and unis standard discrepancies are very slim while in US, uni standards are vastly different.

Some normal or not so difficult to enter unis are:

Uni of Lethbridge
Uni of Ottawa
Uni of Guelph
Simon Fraser Uni
Memorial Uni of NF
Athabasca Uni
Royal Road Uni
Brandon Uni
Brock Uni
Uni of Windsor

nitroxn

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Submitted
Thanks for your reply @abelkwh . Just wondering the state of computer/IT education in Canada. Much of it seems research oriented. Are there universities that have programs in the professional line , non-research oriented. Also, I noticed only a few universities in Canada are offering Software engineering as a degree. Also, Is it possible that after becoming a Canadian PR, I can go to US for further studies. How easy is it go from Canada to US for further studies?

Thanks in advance.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
The computer or IT education in Canada is of high standard and is about the same standard or maybe higher than US for some institutions. There are plenty of colleges or unis that offer professional programs in IT or comp science. If u are keen on more work or professional oriented prorgams, then u have to look at colleges and not the major universities such as branded names, cause these unis are more research oriented and interested in research outputs rather than work related programs.

It is possible for anyone to further his studies in US after graduation as long as u satisfy the requirements of the uni that u are applying to. It doesnt matter whether if u are a PR or not.

nitroxn

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Submitted
Any experience with Memorial University Newfoundland?

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
memorial @ NFL is quite a reasonable good uni, with some very good programs especially in their engine program. Its also relatively cheap compared to the other unis in canada, however, u have to consider the location and also the surrounding. The uni itself is good, so no hesitation if u dont mind the location and the weather.

nitroxn

Jul 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8/8/2010
Doc's Request.
IELTS Request
Submitted
What about the location and weather? Is it too remote? What are the chances of landing of good job after graduating from this university? Also are there any programs that bridge masters and bachelors for international students. Are there graduate certificate programs that bridge to masters program in software engineering and computer science? Please let me know.

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
NFL is ok weather wise but it is humid as its on the eastern costal area and when it gets cold and humid, its really chilling, so u have to bear that in mind, its different from the inland area like Sk and Alberta or Manitoba. Fees are relatively cheaper for international students at Memorial U, so that makes up the chilly cold in winter.

U can check the weather online : http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CANF0253 or http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/canada_e.html

job wise, of course, the bigger cities will offer more job offerings but there could be jobs offered in NFL, it all depends on one's luck and timing and the opportunities available.