+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Soft landing checks

bobbypollock

Sep 13, 2019
I want to share my situation and get some advice in case there is something I have misunderstood or to find out if I have other options.

Back story: I was living/working in Canada on a temporary visa. While there I applied for PR. Due to the long processing time (almost a year in total) and because my temporary visa expired, I was forced to leave Canada and return to my home country, Ireland. I have had to use a lot of my savings, but have gotten a job here in Ireland.

I have received my COPR, but I am not in a financial situation to move to Canada yet. I have also been offered a good job here in Ireland so I want to pursue that for a while. However, if I don't go to Canada soon, my COPR will expire and I would have to re-apply from scratch.

On advice from some in this forum and elsewhere, I could do a 'soft landing' where I would fly to Canada, activate the visa, and return to Ireland - I could then put off moving to Canada for 3 years (if I even still want to after that time). I'm nervous that they will investigate my current finances, which are much less than when I originally applied (because I was forced to leave my job in Canada and I've had to live off savings). If I do a soft landing, will the immigration officer likely ask for proof of finances? If so would they accept that I intend to only stay briefly to activate my PR then return to Ireland? I'm nervous about making this expensive trip, only to have my PR rejected at the airport anyway.

The only alternative I think I have is to let my COPR expire and reapply in a year or two when I am in a better position financially and when/if I am ready and want to move to Canada. I'm not sure if this is a better option. From what I gather I would get at least 500 refunded (the RPRF - is this automatically refunded?) and I'd obviously save on the cost of the trip I would otherwise have to make to Canada to activate the PR. However, I would then have to redo my medical and possibly language tests and reapply if I did want to go back eventually. It would also be very frustrating if the processing time took as long as this application has.

Bit of a dilemma and I have been very torn in deciding what to do. I'm nervous about making the trip for a soft landing and being rejected. Hoping for some input/advice/suggestions about the best course of action.

Thank you

TL;DR - soft landing and don't have the money I had when originally applied. Is soft landing ok or should I let COPR expire and reapply when in a better position financially.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I want to share my situation and get some advice in case there is something I have misunderstood or to find out if I have other options.

Back story: I was living/working in Canada on a temporary visa. While there I applied for PR. Due to the long processing time (almost a year in total) and because my temporary visa expired, I was forced to leave Canada and return to my home country, Ireland. I have had to use a lot of my savings, but have gotten a job here in Ireland.

I have received my COPR, but I am not in a financial situation to move to Canada yet. I have also been offered a good job here in Ireland so I want to pursue that for a while. However, if I don't go to Canada soon, my COPR will expire and I would have to re-apply from scratch.

On advice from some in this forum and elsewhere, I could do a 'soft landing' where I would fly to Canada, activate the visa, and return to Ireland - I could then put off moving to Canada for 3 years (if I even still want to after that time). I'm nervous that they will investigate my current finances, which are much less than when I originally applied (because I was forced to leave my job in Canada and I've had to live off savings). If I do a soft landing, will the immigration officer likely ask for proof of finances? If so would they accept that I intend to only stay briefly to activate my PR then return to Ireland? I'm nervous about making this expensive trip, only to have my PR rejected at the airport anyway.

The only alternative I think I have is to let my COPR expire and reapply in a year or two when I am in a better position financially and when/if I am ready and want to move to Canada. I'm not sure if this is a better option. From what I gather I would get at least 500 refunded (the RPRF - is this automatically refunded?) and I'd obviously save on the cost of the trip I would otherwise have to make to Canada to activate the PR. However, I would then have to redo my medical and possibly language tests and reapply if I did want to go back eventually. It would also be very frustrating if the processing time took as long as this application has.

Bit of a dilemma and I have been very torn in deciding what to do. I'm nervous about making the trip for a soft landing and being rejected. Hoping for some input/advice/suggestions about the best course of action.

Thank you

TL;DR - soft landing and don't have the money I had when originally applied. Is soft landing ok or should I let COPR expire and reapply when in a better position financially.
As you applied through CEC, you are not required to show proof of funds. Just do the soft landing.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
As above just get on with the soft landing given after all flights in winter are cheaper. For example Expedia Dublin/Toronto return a weekend mid November Air Lingus or Air Canada 335 Euros return. Much the same in January, out Friday back overnight Sunday (or even out Sat back Sun night), stay in a hostel if not a hotel. Of course avoid December for obvious reasons.

So you might not get to put in your PR card appplication on a soft landing, depends both on the address and the CBSA officer, but just get a PRTD later on, and being a weekend no SIN application but that is a walkin when you finally arrive.

People do soft landings all the time without any issues so do not miss out on this opportunity and do not over think things .

Last edited:

bobbypollock

Sep 13, 2019
As above just get on with the soft landing given after all flights in winter are cheaper. For example Expedia Dublin/Toronto return a weekend mid November Air Lingus or Air Canada 335 Euros return. Much the same in January, out Friday back overnight Sunday (or even out Sat back Sun night), stay in a hostel if not a hotel. Of course avoid December for obvious reasons.

So you might not get to put in your PR card appplication on a soft landing, depends both on the address and the CBSA officer, but just get a PRTD later on, and being a weekend no SIN application but that is a walkin when you finally arrive.

People do soft landings all the time without any issues so do not miss out on this opportunity and do not over think things .

Thanks for this, I have definitely been overthinking things. I'm not sure what my circumstances will be a year from now, but if I go and get this sorted at least I'll have the option.

I understand the SIN process, as I've had to do that previously but I am a bit unsure what you mean about the PR card application. ("So you might not get to put in your PR card application on a soft landing, depends both on the address and the CBSA officer, but just get a PRTD later"). I thought I was just going to have to provide a friend's address for the card to be sent to - is there a chance they CBSA officer would just give it to me at the airport? Am I right in saying that without a PR card, I would need a PRTD to re-enter Canada even though I am from a visa-exempt country?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for this, I have definitely been overthinking things. I'm not sure what my circumstances will be a year from now, but if I go and get this sorted at least I'll have the option.

I understand the SIN process, as I've had to do that previously but I am a bit unsure what you mean about the PR card application. ("So you might not get to put in your PR card application on a soft landing, depends both on the address and the CBSA officer, but just get a PRTD later"). I thought I was just going to have to provide a friend's address for the card to be sent to - is there a chance they CBSA officer would just give it to me at the airport? Am I right in saying that without a PR card, I would need a PRTD to re-enter Canada even though I am from a visa-exempt country?

Thank you
No, it won't be given to you at the airport. CBSA has to apply for the PR card for you. For soft landings, they sometimes won't do it. That would mean you would need a PRTD to return. Once in Canada, you could apply for a PR card.