+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

So confused about sponsoring

May 29, 2008
Hello everyone, I live in Nova Scotia, I got Married last year to a U.S citizen, She flew up here last September, and at the time i was working, when she got here, the Border people gave her a 6 month stamp on her pass port, we have since then applied for a Visitors Visa, which runs out this September.
She and I have agreed that we would like to both live in Canada so i have looked in to some of the ways to do this, but I am quite lost and confused.

1) Spouse Sponsor ship, according to the information i have been able to under stand i need to have a job and able to support her. Which is a bit of a problem, since i had to leave my last job due to medical reasons, and only recently have i been well enough to get back to looking for work. Are we stuck until i get working again ? or is there another way? (i have been out from work since January)

2) She works for her father and everything is done over the internet so she has been in fact supporting me these last few months (will this affect anything?)

3) what do i look under to find an immigration lawyer ? I am not the sharpest pencil in the drawer when it comes to these things and it might be easier for me to under stand everything if i was able to talk to someone and have them explain it in lamen terms :) ( If not a Lawyer then who? )

4) She doesnt have MSI or health insurance here so how much money does this doctors visit usually run us? she had to get some blood work done recently and the hospital charged us aprox $250 I almost had a heart attack :)

I am 28 Years old and shes just turned 23.
Thank you very much for any help and your time.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

confused_chris said:
Hello everyone, I live in Nova Scotia, I got Married last year to a U.S citizen, She flew up here last September, and at the time i was working, when she got here, the Border people gave her a 6 month stamp on her pass port, we have since then applied for a Visitors Visa, which runs out this September.
She and I have agreed that we would like to both live in Canada so i have looked in to some of the ways to do this, but I am quite lost and confused.

1) Spouse Sponsor ship, according to the information i have been able to under stand i need to have a job and able to support her. Which is a bit of a problem, since i had to leave my last job due to medical reasons, and only recently have i been well enough to get back to looking for work. Are we stuck until i get working again ? or is there another way? (i have been out from work since January)

You don't have to employed to sponsor a spouse, but you cannot be an undischarged bankrupt or collecting welfare except for disability./

2) She works for her father and everything is done over the internet so she has been in fact supporting me these last few months (will this affect anything?)

No

3) what do i look under to find an immigration lawyer ? I am not the sharpest pencil in the drawer when it comes to these things and it might be easier for me to under stand everything if i was able to talk to someone and have them explain it in lamen terms :) ( If not a Lawyer then who? )

Assuming you have read the information on www.cic.gc.ca , everything is there, and you still need help there are Immigrant organizations all over Canada that will help for free.

4) She doesnt have MSI or health insurance here so how much money does this doctors visit usually run us? she had to get some blood work done recently and the hospital charged us aprox $250 I almost had a heart attack :)

Be prepared, as she won't be eligible for any medical fee help until she is a PR.

I am 28 Years old and shes just turned 23.
Thank you very much for any help and your time.
No your father can't sponsor her.
PMM