+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN card necessary or not if you are planning to return after applying for PR

ahilam123

Jul 18, 2018
I have COPR and I will be going to canada only for 5 days to apply for PR. I am planing to move there later on , but for now i have a job in the US which i want to return to. so is it important for me to apply for SIN? since i will be in canada aonly for so short and will be busy with a wedding and its a long weekend in canada that time so im thinking SIN office might be closed. for PR i will apply directly at airport. I am landing at 1 am FYI. what if i dont apply for SIN and just appky for pr and return.

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Not necessary. Please note that you can use your COPR to get SIN within first year of landing. After 1 year of landing, Service Canada will ask for PR card to issue you SIN.

langoorbandar

Star Member
Jun 14, 2017
Bay Area, USA
Visa Office......
Ottawa
I have COPR and I will be going to canada only for 5 days to apply for PR. I am planing to move there later on , but for now i have a job in the US which i want to return to. so is it important for me to apply for SIN? since i will be in canada aonly for so short and will be busy with a wedding and its a long weekend in canada that time so im thinking SIN office might be closed. for PR i will apply directly at airport. I am landing at 1 am FYI. what if i dont apply for SIN and just appky for pr and return.
If you choose to get SIN, it takes around 30 min at any Service Canada office and generally there are several of them within short distance if you are in a major metro area. At Service Canada office, they verify your COPR and Passport and issue SIN on the spot. I would say, if you can spare 1 hour on a weekday, try to get it taken care of while you are there. Its straightforward and painless process.