+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN card after PR card?

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Hi there

Anyone knows if we need to get the PR card first to apply for SIN card or we can just apply SIN card without getting the PR card after landing?

cause it seems that the PR card may take 3 to 8 weeks to be sent to the address provided by the newly landed immigrant.

Thanks

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
abelkwh said:
Hi there

Anyone knows if we need to get the PR card first to apply for SIN card or we can just apply SIN card without getting the PR card after landing?

cause it seems that the PR card may take 3 to 8 weeks to be sent to the address provided by the newly landed immigrant.

Thanks
Hi,

I applied for a SIN in the same day of my landing, I took my Confirmation of Permanent Residence and passport with the visa. My PR Card only arrived after 33 days.

What information/documents do I need to apply?

Primary Documents

You need to provide a primary document to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN), replace your card or amend your SIN record (e.g. a name change).

A primary document is an official document that proves your identity and status in Canada. We need to see an original of your primary document. If the name on this document is different from the name you currently use, you will also need to provide a supporting document.

You must submit one of the following primary documents with your application:

(...)

Permanent residents

Permanent Resident Card issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada. This is the only acceptable document if your claim was processed in Canada.

Confirmation of Permanent Residence AND visa counterfoil affixed to a foreign passport or a travel document

Record of Landing issued before June 28, 2002.
Source: http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sin/apply/proof.shtml

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
May i know which city did u land in? and is 33 days the normal time required for PR card to arrive?

Miryam

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo, Brazil
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
November/2009
abelkwh said:
May i know which city did u land in?
Surrey, BC. Douglas office: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/offices/office405-e.html

abelkwh said:
and is 33 days the normal time required for PR card to arrive?
I think it depends. I was told by the CBSA Officer it would take from 6 to 8 weeks for the PR Card to arrive, but I received it 2 days before completing 5 weeks. In CIC's website it says 30 days though: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#pr_card But it also says "Please note: Due to an extraordinary circumstance related to our electronic scanning system, PR card processing times have increased significantly."

abelkwh

Jul 30, 2009
Thanks Miryam

Seems like in this case, if i plan to leave after landing, i would have to make allowance for at least 6 weeks before i leave then return again. Its really a very uncertain time frame in this case. Really puzzling indeed!

Tapak

Oct 13, 2007
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

I landed in Calgary on 18th Feb but haven't received my PR cards yet. BTW, I gave my friends address in Waterloo, ON. Is it normal wait time if the landing, port of entry, and address for PR is in different province?

Thanks,
Taps