+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I opt for a masters degree or try applying for a job?

Ash_1917

Star Member
May 16, 2018
Hi guys,

My husband and I are EE applicants and are expecting the golden PPR email soon. I want to be prepared well in advance with respect to securing a decent job in canada before moving there.

Just a brief background about myself:
I have a BA in visual arts and a MBA in marketing. I moved to the US in 2017 and I have been on a h4 visa since then. This visa does not allow to legally apply for work anywhere in the US and hence the decision of moving to Canada.

I wanted to know if I should directly apply for a job in Canada (considering my 2 years gap) or pursue a Masters degree. And which colleges or universities should I consider for a masters degree in Marketing?

Thank you!

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
I think this is a personal decision that only you can make. You may be lucky and get a job soon after you arrive, then again you may not. Usually employers won't entertain anyone outside the country before they have PR. However, to cover all the bases you should certainly try through job sites, linkedin etc. How long can you survive without having a job, is what you should ask.

Reactions: Ash_1917

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
What about doing both?

Ash_1917

Star Member
May 16, 2018
I think this is a personal decision that only you can make. You may be lucky and get a job soon after you arrive, then again you may not. Usually employers won't entertain anyone outside the country before they have PR. However, to cover all the bases you should certainly try through job sites, linkedin etc. How long can you survive without having a job, is what you should ask.
The only thing that I am relying on is my MBA. I really hope I get a decent job once I get my PR.

Just wanted to know if it makes sense to apply for jobs before getting the PR.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
The only thing that I am relying on is my MBA. I really hope I get a decent job once I get my PR.

Just wanted to know if it makes sense to apply for jobs before getting the PR.
No it doesn't make sense. In most cases you need to land with your PR and be on the ground to have a meaningful job search. Employers are reluctant to engage candidates from overseas.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
Since I already have a masters I would prefer getting a job. But if I don’t I will have to pursue another masters in Canada. Are you suggesting getting an internship while studying?
You can easily study part-time while working full time. I am doing the same.

Canadian education is much more valued than other degree from overseas (unless from US or first tier European universities). I am doing my MBA and also took continuous education courses previously at the University of Toronto, and had many classmates who even had PhDs from abroad. Having a Masters or PhD from abroad does not mean that employers will be lining up for you. Not only there are tons of new graduates each year from local colleges and universities, but through immigration there are tens of thousands of new immigrants coming in with excellent degrees and qualifications, while the job growth beyond entry level is very limited. Therefore it is a tough job market.

Ash_1917

Star Member
May 16, 2018
You can easily study part-time while working full time. I am doing the same.

Canadian education is much more valued than other degree from overseas (unless from US or first tier European universities). I am doing my MBA and also took continuous education courses previously at the University of Toronto, and had many classmates who even had PhDs from abroad. Having a Masters or PhD from abroad does not mean that employers will be lining up for you. Not only there are tons of new graduates each year from local colleges and universities, but through immigration there are tens of thousands of new immigrants coming in with excellent degrees and qualifications, while the job growth beyond entry level is very limited. Therefore it is a tough job market.
Can you suggest a few universities and courses that I can look at?