+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping personal belongings from US to Canada.

toledo

Star Member
Apr 21, 2008
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of packing up my stuff to move to Canada. My house-hold belonging is going to be too much to carry it with me in the plane. I was thinking, if it's better (cheaper) to ship it by some sort of carrier seperately. i.e. a typical laguage or two, which can weigh ~40 to 50 lb.

Has anyone already done this? Can you give me a rough idea, how much would it cost and how about customs? Any input would be appreciated in this regard.

Thanks,

Toledo.

chandu007

Jan 29, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toledo- Based on the weight you mentioned, you may want to check FedEx or UPS international ground shipping. They are quite resonable.

max101

Star Member
Sep 9, 2005
toledo said:
Hello everyone,

I am in the process of packing up my stuff to move to Canada. My house-hold belonging is going to be too much to carry it with me in the plane. I was thinking, if it's better (cheaper) to ship it by some sort of carrier seperately. i.e. a typical laguage or two, which can weigh ~40 to 50 lb.

Has anyone already done this? Can you give me a rough idea, how much would it cost and how about customs? Any input would be appreciated in this regard.

Thanks,

Toledo.
I used UPS to ship 3 boxes from US to Canada. That was the best deal I found. You can get estimates from their website ( www . ups . com) . You can also generate shipping labels and schedule pick up by their online service.

Regarding customs, I did get a call from customs and I told them that I am a landed immigrant. They did not charge any additional customs or taxes. You do need to include "Commercial Invoice" with the list of contents and value. The online system will guide you to generate those forms and shipping labels when you schedule online.

I used cardboard boxes, I am not sure if you can ship luggage. Their shipping fees were reasonable (about $40 per box). However, boxes were a bit messed up and dusty when they arrived. I would not recommend to ship breakable items and make sure to wrap the boxes with lots of tape.

have a great day!