+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sending passport from USA to Canada

albak

Star Member
Sep 5, 2017
It would be great if members here could guide me. Is there a reason that people here didn't use USPS? I am in a traveling job and USPS is the only one that would drop the passports back in my mail box instead of requiring me to sign for it. Is it just a matter of preference that most people used FedEx or UPS?

Mthornt

Dec 28, 2015
Canada
It would be great if members here could guide me. Is there a reason that people here didn't use USPS? I am in a traveling job and USPS is the only one that would drop the passports back in my mail box instead of requiring me to sign for it. Is it just a matter of preference that most people used FedEx or UPS?

I used USPS to ship to Ottawa, however shipping back is a different matter. USPS doesn't pick up from them like Fedex. I originally sent it with a return UPS label, however they contacted me via email and asked me to send a FedEx label, so that's what I did. Here are the directions they sent me below...

To purchase a FedEx online shipping label please follow the instructions below. If you need help call FedEx at 1-800-463-3339

1) CONTROL & CLICK ON THIS LINK https://www.fedex.com/lite/lite-ship.html?locale=en_ca&cntry_code=ca_english#address

2) FILL IN THE SHIP “FROM” address section with the CPC-Ottawa mailing address as below:

First Name: CPC-Ottawa | CTD-Ottawa

Last Name: PR-TR PRINTING | IMPRESSION RP-RT

Email: (Your email address)

Street Number: 365

Street Name: Laurier Ave

Direction: West

City: Ottawa

Province: Ontario

Postal Code: K1A 1L1

3) FILL IN THE SHIP “TO” address section with your mailing address details

4) DESCRIBE ITEM: Weight (kg): 0.200kg, Length (cm): 24 Width: 16 Height: 1

5) SELECT YOUR SERVICE (Priority, Overnight , Saturday Delivery, etc).

6) FOR PICK-UP select Item #3 – pre-arranged pickup.

7) REVIEW all mailing details and pay online.

8) VERY IMPORTANT TO FOLLOW THIS INSTRUCTION

When you receive the e-mail confirmation from FedEx - do not print out the label - open the shipping label and save the label as an electronic version (PDF file) on the desktop of your computer.

Do not send a picture of the label or the payment receipt. Do not forward the e-mail sent to you by the courier.

ONLY SEND a pdf version of the courier label.

9) REPLY TO THIS EMAIL and provide a copy of the label as an attachment. Do not change the subject heading of the e-mail.

systix

Mar 13, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
None
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
##-08-2027
LANDED..........
##-09-2027
Sorry for the late reply..

1. Only customs invoice
2. Free Carrier
3. Leave that unchecked.

Hope that helps.
S.

Hi Systix,

I have 3 questions for you, I hope you can help please:

1.) While creating the onward shipping label, there are two checkboxes to be checked: 1.) Customs invoice 2.) proforma invoice. Do we select only customs invoice?

2.) Also, there is a terms of sale drop down where there are option like free carrier, carriage insurance paid, carriage paid to, exworks, delivered duty paid, delivered at place, delivered at terminal, others. Which one do we need to select?

3.) There is also one more check box i am a little confused about: "the recipient is not the importer of record/buyer", do we leave this unchecked as well?

I would really appreciate your help with this questions. Thank you!

Reactions: alexross

inder.online

Star Member
Sep 22, 2017
Hello Friends, I have to send my passports to Canada from US.
I am planning to send onward via USPS and create a return label from Fedex.

I have few questions for return label
1. I asked Fedex customer care about commercial invoice, after reading it on few forums, she said it is not required for documents.
2. What will be the value of my documents/passports ?
3. Will CIC schedule a pickup or drop off to Fedex office ?

I am planing to use an economy service, has anyone used it ?

vkpgopinath

Nov 28, 2017
Guys, when sending to PO box address via FedEx from US. What is the phone number you guys provided for CPCO? FedEx is not accepting envelopes to PO Box in Canada which doesn't have phone number in it

samsab

Oct 24, 2017
Guys, when sending to PO box address via FedEx from US. What is the phone number you guys provided for CPCO? FedEx is not accepting envelopes to PO Box in Canada which doesn't have phone number in it
Hello ,

How did you send your package to po box via fedex? and how did you manage to get a return envelope?
Any leads will be appreciated.

Thanking u in advance.

Best Regards,
SAM

samsab

Oct 24, 2017
Hello Friends, I have to send my passports to Canada from US.
I am planning to send onward via USPS and create a return label from Fedex.

I have few questions for return label
1. I asked Fedex customer care about commercial invoice, after reading it on few forums, she said it is not required for documents.
2. What will be the value of my documents/passports ?
3. Will CIC schedule a pickup or drop off to Fedex office ?

I am planing to use an economy service, has anyone used it ?
Hello,

How did you send your package to po box via fedex? and how did you manage to get a return envelope?

Thanking u in advance.

Best Regards,
SAM

jalalsrana

May 2, 2018
Hello,

Thanking u in advance.

Best Regards,
SAM
You can send to a PO Box via FEDEX as long as you have a phone number. I wasn't sure about the phone number, so I used USPS and used 1-3 days delivery which also goes through FedEx, ironically.

To get a return envelope you will have to make an account on Fedex.com and create shipment label from 'Ottawa' to "Your Address'. You can follow the detailed instructions mentioned above to or here is another similar forum with instructions on page 4. ( https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/correct-address-for-sending-passport-from-us.554444/page-4 )

Hope that helps.

samsab

Oct 24, 2017
You can send to a PO Box via FEDEX as long as you have a phone number. I wasn't sure about the phone number, so I used USPS and used 1-3 days delivery which also goes through FedEx, ironically.

To get a return envelope you will have to make an account on Fedex.com and create shipment label from 'Ottawa' to "Your Address'. You can follow the detailed instructions mentioned above to or here is another similar forum with instructions on page 4. ( https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/correct-address-for-sending-passport-from-us.554444/page-4 )

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much for your reply and this definitely helps!
I really appreciate it.

Follow up question- Was this your address to Ottawa ?

CPCO – PR VISA
Corrections/Supporting Documentation/US PR/TR VISA
PO Box 8781 STN T CSC
Ottawa ON K1G 5B3

Again, I really appreciate your time.

Best Regards,
Sam

jalalsrana

May 2, 2018
Thank you so much for your reply and this definitely helps!
I really appreciate it.

Follow up question- Was this your address to Ottawa ?

CPCO – PR VISA
Corrections/Supporting Documentation/US PR/TR VISA
PO Box 8781 STN T CSC
Ottawa ON K1G 5B3

Again, I really appreciate your time.

Best Regards,
Sam
Yes, that is the address I used. I know some people were still leaning towards using the old address, but I went with this as it is the one in the e-mail.
My package is still in transit, and hopefully will arrive there today.

I am glad that was helpful.

Best,
Jalal

Hopeful4Canada

Oct 23, 2017
Hello Friends,

I am stuck at 'Customs Information' section which is the 3rd section in FedEx Ship Manager Lite. There are 2 divisions for Products Or Documents... Please can you let me know what needs to be selected here so that we can have the necessary commercial invoice generated.
Also, I suppose this is only required for return shipment? Onward shipment can be done in either local USPS or FedEx office in person?

Please let me know your thoughts.

noblevrghs

Nov 4, 2017
Yes, that is the address I used. I know some people were still leaning towards using the old address, but I went with this as it is the one in the e-mail.
My package is still in transit, and hopefully will arrive there today.

I am glad that was helpful.

Best,
Jalal
Can we use PO Box address in FROM address in return envelope? What will be the phone number to be used for this?

Bal5

Mar 16, 2018
Hello everyone! I have a quick question. I am trying to create a label online to send my docs to CIC for CoPR etc..
I am confused about the Contact Name. I want to type CIC but am not sure if I should mention "CPCO - PR VISA" and "US Permanent/Temporary Residence VISA/Passports" anywhere. I guess that would be the division we are sending the package to.
Any help on this matter?
Thank you so much.

mqc1986

Star Member
Jul 28, 2017
United States
Hi Akki045,

Congratulations!!
I am in a similar boat as yourself (Indian residing in US). It seems many people do send their passports out of the country. Sharing my experience below:

I personally used FedEx. In brief: I created an online fedex account ( a personal account), and using the FedEx Ship Manager (not the Ship Manager Lite), created a shipment which included a return label. I also opted for the commercial invoice to be generated for both onward and return packages as I had heard that some people (who had sent their passports to Ottawa from US) had reported that they were asked by CIC to provide a new shipping label with a commercial invoice.

You can use the passport processing tracker on myimmitracker here: https://myimmitracker.com/en/ca/trackers/passport-processing-tracker
to get an idea of the kind of wait times experienced by ppl.

TLDR:
The shipping labels created with selecting a package type of an envelope, along with a document type of immigration papers declared at value of $1 for both onward and return packages. I had purchased one large bubble-wrap envelop (which could take 11" x 17" sized docs) for the onward package and a medium bubble wrap envelope (which could take a 11" x 8.5" doc). For the package type, I measured the bubble wraps envelopes that I had and put those dimensions in as custom. I collected all docs (pport, photos, annex a, return envelop), took everything together and wrote a simple cover letter explaining the documents and artefacts included.

The Fedex shipment gave me quite a few documents printed out.

4 labels for the onward shipment, 2 commercial invoices for the onward shipment. I made sure everything on the onward label was correct, and signed the two commercial invoices and included them in the standard fedex ziploc pouches that affix on top of the envelope (they just give you a couple of those at the fedex locations if you ask for them).

I affixed a similar ziploc pouch on the return envelope. I put the 3 return labels within the pouch.

I took:
Coverletter
The passports
Photographs
annex A
fedex return shipment instructions
fedex return commercial invoice (separate from the labels that were put into the return envelope's pouch since they had to be signed by the person returning)
return envelope with return labels within the pouch,​
and put all of the above on the onward and sent the package. The cover letter that I wrote , explained exactly what each thing was.

Hope that helped even though am a bit late.
Thank you for the information! I did exactly what you did for the return envelope. I put the three return shipping labels into the pouch on the Fedex return envelope, and the two copies of commercial invoice separated and not in the pouch and put a sticker on it to let CIC staff sign and put them into the pouch later. Now I'm a little worried that they won't sign the invoices or they won't put them into the pouch... So I wonder did your passport come back ok? Did they sign? Did they put the invoice into the pouch on the return envelope? Thank you!