+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self Employment Issue

chrisvaldez

Sep 20, 2020
Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can help. My wife and I are in the throes of trying to immigrate to Canada. However, the main stumbling block is that I have been self employed for seven years. I have run two businesses simultaneously, as I didn't want to go down the company formation route. Now I am seeing that the requirement to have 1500+ hours of experience could be an issue. I am quite happy to form my own Ltd company in the UK and turn myself into an employee, but could I then only count hours of experience from that point on or could I then tot up all my hours of paid work and satisfy the requirement? Thanks in advance.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Articles of incorporation/formal business ownership are important. You may be able to go based off tax documents that prove self-employment income and documents from clients attesting to the services provided, such as contracts or invoices, but it will be more difficult.

BC4life

Nov 5, 2015
Toronto, ON
Visa Office......
HKVO
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
06-10-2016
AOR Received.
07-12-2016
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
19-12-2016
Passport Req..
28-02-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-03-2017
LANDED..........
XX-07-2017
You may be able to get clients sign off on work that you have done. But ideally you should have incorporated and paid yourself a salary if your plan was to immigrate.

I was in the same shoes prior to moving to Canada as I was running my own businesses. But I have been incorporated for close to 10 years at the time, paid myself a salary each month as other employees from one of these businesses, and have up to date tax fillings. I had zero issue when applying for PR.