+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Self-Employed Application 2018

Nishashah

Mar 11, 2019
I don't think it's a good idea to staple them. In fact, the instructions clearly say not to staple them or bind them in any manner whatsoever. I understand that this may cause some inconvenience and/or anxiety - it certainly did for me. I still went ahead and stacked up the unbound sheets in the specified order, inserted them in an envelope, shot a quick prayer to the heavens that the stack somehow doesn't get messed up later in the process, and sent it to the Immigration office, with the temperament of an anxious parent who lets go of his or her child on the first day of school.

The reason they ask not to staple or bind the sheets is because international mail goes through a series of security checks and scans at various points, and anything metallic in the envelope will set the scanners beeping.

Use paper pins

Reactions: theguv and AnaBotha

BaNana82

Star Member
Jun 29, 2017
Nairobi
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
App. Filed.......
14-10-2016
AOR Received.
23-03-2017
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
06-06-2017
Med's Done....
24-06-2017
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
01-11-2017
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
Hello

A question for those who have submitted their application already:

How was your paper based application documents packaged? Loose papers in an envelope? Stapled together in sections? In a binder or flip file?
Loose papers arranged in the order I ticked them off the checklist. I think I read somewhere twice that they should not be stapled but you can use paper clips. I used clips to hold passport photos in place.

Reactions: AnaBotha
Nov 8, 2016
VISA ISSUED...
10-11-2018
LANDED..........
15-04-2019
Thanks.
Haven't received the email yet..not sure why.

Would you please clarify few points for my understanding:
1. Did you submit 2 police clearances from the currently you reside and your home country as well? Or is it enough to submit the country you stayed longer? Because they mentioned if stayed above 6 months after 18 then police Certificate would be needed.

2. In form 0008; should the existing occupation and intended occupation fields be referred to the applicant main day job ? I think they expect the intended occupation to be one of the occupations qualified for self employment like Writer, designer, translator..etc ... isn't it?

3. Should the applicant pay upfront the fees and enclose the invoice or just wait until they ask for it?

Sorry for the long post.. just getting myself familiar with the lengthy forms and process.

Many thanks
  1. Yes. 2 police clearances for every country I've lived in for more than 6 months since I was 18. You can submit the application without them but they will just come back to you later on and ask you to submit anyway and it might take a while depending on bureaucracy. When they ask for more documents, there is a deadline of up to 30 days to submit the additional documents.
  2. Please clarify what the question is on this form 0008. But yes the intended occupation should be related to one of the occupations under the self-employed list, which you should already have experience in or are participating in on some level even if you do have a full-time job doing something else
  3. You can pay all the fees at once or pay for the application first and then pay for the permanent residence fee when they request it later on. Application fees are non-refundable but if they reject your application, the right of residence fee is refundable.
HTH

Reactions: AnaBotha

AnaBotha

Jan 9, 2019
Category........
  1. Yes. 2 police clearances for every country I've lived in for more than 6 months since I was 18. You can submit the application without them but they will just come back to you later on and ask you to submit anyway and it might take a while depending on bureaucracy. When they ask for more documents, there is a deadline of up to 30 days to submit the additional documents.
  2. Please clarify what the question is on this form 0008. But yes the intended occupation should be related to one of the occupations under the self-employed list, which you should already have experience in or are participating in on some level even if you do have a full-time job doing something else
  3. You can pay all the fees at once or pay for the application first and then pay for the permanent residence fee when they request it later on. Application fees are non-refundable but if they reject your application, the right of residence fee is refundable.
HTH
Did they ask for police clearance from the age of 18? I was going to only do the ones for countries I lived in in the past 10 years.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
We're finally finished and headed to Nova Scotia. We will make our soft landing ASAP at 3rd Bridge, St. Stephen, NB.

Here's a detailed timeline of our funky journey. The numbered items are IRCC's notations in our online account. I filled in the interim steps. Our stream was Self-Employed Farmer (no longer offered). It may or may not be instructive or useful:

1. We received your application for permanent residence on October 27, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your applications on January 11, 2018.
  3. We started processing your application on December 1, 2017.
  4. We sent you correspondence on December 1, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  5. We sent you correspondence on November 5, 2018, about the decision on your application.
Nov 7, 2018: Attorney filed for formal case review.
Dec 7, 2018: Attorney received GMCS notes.
Dec 8, 2018: Attorney received no response from IRCC re formal review request
Jan 4, 2019: Filed application for Leave and Judicial Review.
Feb 4, 2019: Attorney filed Applicant's Record for Leave and Judicial Review.
Feb 21, 2019: Received offer from IRCC attorney to settle, set aside rejection, & reassign.
6. We sent you medical instructions on April 9, 2019. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
7. Medical results have been received.
8. We sent you correspondence on May 13, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

May 22, 2019: Attorney received email stating agent needed FBI.
May 22, 2019: Attorney submitted FBI & PP copy.
May 23, 2019: Attorney received email w/ instructions for photographs and PP copies to go to Ottawa.​

9. We sent you correspondence on May 23, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.​

May 29, 2019: Mailed prepaid courier envelope (UPS), passport copies, and form to Ottawa.
June 20, 2019: Status changed to “Decision Made” and COPR received.

Nornor

Star Member
Jul 3, 2018
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
We're finally finished and headed to Nova Scotia. We will make our soft landing ASAP at 3rd Bridge, St. Stephen, NB.

Here's a detailed timeline of our funky journey. The numbered items are IRCC's notations in our online account. I filled in the interim steps. Our stream was Self-Employed Farmer (no longer offered). It may or may not be instructive or useful:

2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your applications on January 11, 2018.
  4. We sent you correspondence on December 1, 2017. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.
  5. We sent you correspondence on November 5, 2018, about the decision on your application.
Feb 21, 2019: Received offer from IRCC attorney to settle, set aside rejection, & reassign.
6. We sent you medical instructions on April 9, 2019. To avoid delays, please provide us the information requested in the letter as soon as possible. Please consider delays in mail delivery before contacting us.
8. We sent you correspondence on May 13, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.

May 23, 2019: Attorney received email w/ instructions for photographs and PP copies to go to Ottawa.​

9. We sent you correspondence on May 23, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required.​

May 29, 2019: Mailed prepaid courier envelope (UPS), passport copies, and form to Ottawa.
Congratulations again! What a journey, please have a drink on me today hahahaha all the best!

Reactions: edufizz

edufizz

Dec 5, 2018

Happy for you and your family! We also received our COPR but I am planning our landing for mid November, due to all the "ties" that we need to detangle in the US. Best of luck for you in Canada and I bet we are going to meet again on this Forum.

Reactions: Mort Sinclair

yyfairy

Jun 20, 2019
Newbie here, I want to apply for SE stream this year, and find lots of useful information here. Really appreciate everyone here sharing their experiences and timelines. Currently I am stuck at the business plan and settlement plan, does someone have the template that can share with me? Thanks in advance.

yulie wang

Star Member
Nov 26, 2018
China
Category........
Newbie here, I want to apply for SE stream this year, and find lots of useful information here. Really appreciate everyone here sharing their experiences and timelines. Currently I am stuck at the business plan and settlement plan, does someone have the template that can share with me? Thanks in advance.
what is your NOC

Blissful777

May 3, 2019

Congratulations to you..

Laithhisham

Oct 31, 2018

Congratulations friend .

jimshady

Star Member
May 1, 2018
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16 Jan 2019
Med's Request
4 Mar 2019
Med's Done....
12 Mar 2019
Passport Req..
27 Mar 2019
VISA ISSUED...
17 Apr 2019
LANDED..........
8 Aug 2019
Hello

A question for those who have submitted their application already:

How was your paper based application documents packaged? Loose papers in an envelope? Stapled together in sections? In a binder or flip file?
Loose sheets bound with a big binder clip. (NOT stapled/permanent bound)