+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking legal advice

F50

Nov 23, 2008
Hello all,
my problem is i am an international student who applied to an independent high school in toronto while i am out of canada,when i applied the school asked to get the courses money at first so i paid half og the amount including the registration fees,however when i applied for a visa i got refused three times in one year so i decided to ask the school director if he can help me with the visa or if he can send me my refund ( the courses money ) and he said he would send me the money but what happend is that he didn't send me anything and after two weeks i e-mailed him again asking him about the status of the money he said he is out on vacation but he has left instruction for the school to do so.Anyways i waited for the money for two weeks then again i didn't get anything so i e-mailed him again but he didn't get back to me, so i called the school and wanted to talk to him but they told me he is not available so i called the next day and the day after but all calls failed,everytime the secrtary say he is not there so i left him messages to get back to me but he never did.After that one of my friends told me to contact the ministry of education in toronto so i did.The Ministry tried to contact the school by e-mails i think but the school didn't respond, so the y told me they will call the school and wait for thier response but for the meantime i have to seek for legal advice as the the person in the ministry told me that the ministry cann't force the school to respond nor to give me the refund.

This is my story so who can help me please,I'm desperate for help.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to contact a laywer to get legal advice. We can't provide that on the forum.

Which school is this?

F50

Nov 23, 2008
Thank you for your reply,the school name is Toronto Independent high school,and how to contact a lawyer while i'm out of canada i need help to get this done so who can help me if anybody can.
Thanks

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Go to the website for the Law Society of Upper Canada. They can help refer you to a lawyer.

F50 said:
Thank you for your reply,the school name is Toronto Independent high school,and how to contact a lawyer while i'm out of canada i need help to get this done so who can help me if anybody can.
Thanks

F50

Nov 23, 2008
I went on the site and sent them e-mail they replied and said they cann't refere me i have to be in canada

maua

Oct 2, 2009
Your situation is very sad and it angers me. In their defense (benefit of the doubt) I work with schools and the hardest time to get someone to listen to you is over the holidays. In fact for that reason, I am on vacation too because I can't get anyone to talk to me or return my e-mails or calls. Wait until schools resume in a week or two and give it another try.
If that fails, I don't know about Canada but here in the States bad press is a dreaded thing. See if you can get a radio dj or better yet a consumer right TV personality to 'shame' them into getting your money back.

maua

Oct 2, 2009
Oh! I have another idea. Does your country have an embassy in Canada? Contact the Academic Attache for your country and ask them to intervene on your behalf. That would be a more diplomatic solution than the one I suggested earlier.

F50

Nov 23, 2008
Thank you for your help yes my country has embassy in Canada thats why i will give it a shot after the holidays.But in case this doesn't work how to get a lawyer if you have any idea

maua

Oct 2, 2009
F50 said:
Thank you for your help yes my country has embassy in Canada thats why i will give it a shot after the holidays.But in case this doesn't work how to get a lawyer if you have any idea
I wish I could be of more help in that regard but I don't know what the procedure of obtaining a Canadian lawyer is from outside Canada. I suppose it is the same as how one would hire an immigration lawyer. See if this link helps. You would need a Civil lawyer in Ontario to handle your case. I think you should be able to either call or e-mail the lawyers suggested and present your case and they can advise you on how they can help you. Good luck!

http://lawyerlocate.ca/Ontario/lawyers