+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Salary expectations when moving from US H1B to Canada PR- SAP Professional

psona

Jul 17, 2018
Hello friends...I am in the process of transferring to Canada from my current Job in the US . Can somebody please give me an idea of what I should expect in terms of a paycut that might happen. percentage wise , what paycut did you experience ? Just trying to set my expectations right here . If it helps , I am full time employee in SAP Finance domain. What are usual salaries in SAP profession? I have checked glassdoor and some other websites but they have a very wide range . I would like to get some more realistic data

akmh1b

Mar 6, 2018
Please consults glassdoor.ca with your specific company and position. It's hard to estimate any particular pay.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
You best case is getting $ to CAD match. like if you make 90k USD, you could get 90k CAD. That formula would work may be up to 100k-120k. If you are earning more than that in US, then you may be capped in 100-120k range at best. If you are making less than 90k, you may get slightly better mapping for CAD. But USD will never be converted and matched by any Canadian employer who hires even top 1% talent.

No technology is niche technology for Canadian market and there are enough people who are willing to work at any salary to get their first breakthrough in to the market.

psona

Jul 17, 2018
You best case is getting $ to CAD match. like if you make 90k USD, you could get 90k CAD. That formula would work may be up to 100k-120k. If you are earning more than that in US, then you may be capped in 100-120k range at best. If you are making less than 90k, you may get slightly better mapping for CAD. But USD will never be converted and matched by any Canadian employer who hires even top 1% talent.

No technology is niche technology for Canadian market and there are enough people who are willing to work at any salary to get their first breakthrough in to the market.
That is really helpful . Thank You

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Hello friends...I am in the process of transferring to Canada from my current Job in the US . Can somebody please give me an idea of what I should expect in terms of a paycut that might happen. percentage wise , what paycut did you experience ? Just trying to set my expectations right here . If it helps , I am full time employee in SAP Finance domain. What are usual salaries in SAP profession? I have checked glassdoor and some other websites but they have a very wide range . I would like to get some more realistic data
YMMV depending on if one ends up working for same team and reporting to same Manager. If one has good relationship, it might be worthwhile to start negotiation with same pay converted in CAD. Given the difficult choices folks are making (moving entire family etc), there is usually more empathy.

Anything is possible depending on one's manager :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
YMMV depending on if one ends up working for same team and reporting to same Manager. If one has good relationship, it might be worthwhile to start negotiation with same pay converted in CAD. Given the difficult choices folks are making (moving entire family etc), there is usually more empathy.

Anything is possible depending on one's manager :)
Many are out of visa options in the US so the employer has the advance in that case. Empathy only goes so far. In general your salary is going to have to be similar than someone working for the company in Canada with similar experience.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Many are out of visa options in the US so the employer has the advance in that case. Empathy only goes so far. In general your salary is going to have to be similar than someone working for the company in Canada with similar experience.
Yes like i said YMMV. FWIW, as much as folks are out visa options, so are employers unable to hire/file/transfer H1 petitions (relative to glory days). They are all hoping for a change this coming election and if so, it will be business as usual for them. They wouldn't care if backlogged community gets GC or not, they just need and want easy work visa regulations.

This next few months is amazing opportunity to negotiate what ever the case may be (assuming everything in good standing, being critical to product etc). As much as hiring managers/HRs show a poker face, underneath they understand they too don't have many options either.

One of my former colleague moved from LA to Vancouver with same pay.

Reactions: venkat51286