+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Requirement for Citizen

ont-man

Feb 11, 2010
Hi Members,

I'm a Canadian Citizen and working/living in US. I applied PR for my wife in Jan 2009 and mentioned about my presence in US. I got a latter from Islamabad, asking for my presence of last one year in Canada (bank statement, lease letter, pay stub, etc). I am confused because Canadian Citizen can stay outside but they need to make promise that they will come to Canada once their spouse get the PR Visa. How should I respond to this query? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ont-man

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

According to my knowlege the PR visa for your wife will not be stamped unless you proove your presence in Canada
with supporting evidences as you mentioned in your question. May be some one else can suggest how to over come your current situation.

ont-man said:
Hi Members,

I'm a Canadian Citizen and working/living in US. I applied PR for my wife in Jan 2009 and mentioned about my presence in US. I got a latter from Islamabad, asking for my presence of last one year in Canada (bank statement, lease letter, pay stub, etc). I am confused because Canadian Citizen can stay outside but they need to make promise that they will come to Canada once their spouse get the PR Visa. How should I respond to this query? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ont-man

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a Canadian citizen, you are completely within your rights to sponsor your spouse while living outside of Canada. A citizen does NOT need to be living in Canada to sponsor. However, you do need to submit proof of your intention to re-establish yourself in Canada once your wife's PR is approved because you MUST return to Canada once her PR is approved. I would write a letter to CHC Islamabad explaining that, as you explained in your original application, that you are currently living and working in the US. Then you will need to explain what efforts you have made to return to Canada -- job applications or job offers, a search for an apartment or home, acceptance at a Canadian university etc. Some people include a letter from relatives saying that the couple can stay with them until the couple is able to find a place of their own. If they are not convinced that you will return to Canada then they may refuse her application on that basis.