+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residence requirements for Parents Sponsored

SpidieMan

Jan 5, 2015
Hi,

I moved to Quebec a few years after submitting the application for sponsoring my parents. When I had submitted their application initially, their intended place of residence was Toronto with my siblings. Once I moved to Quebec, I got their CSQs and later on they got their COPRs.

Their CSQ says destination: Montreal, and the COPR says Port of Entry: Montreal. Are my parents required to reside in Montreal or can they still reside in Toronto?

When I called Quebec MIDI to ask this, they told me they have to stay with the sponsor. When I called CIC/IRCC they said they can reside wherever they want.

They will be doing their landing in Montreal. Will they be required to go through Quebec MIDI after CBSA processes them? They don't speak French but I do. I'm already in Montreal. Would Quebec MIDI let me assist them or they will be given a hard time?

I'm told the first question Quebec MIDI asks is if the person intends to stay in Quebec. If you answer "no" to that (because CBSA said it's not a requirement), would they be refused entry?

They can easily reside in Montreal with me if that's the requirement. I just having a hard time getting clarification on what the requirements are.

Thanks

adomanim

Star Member
Dec 28, 2019
It is an extremely competitive program. You must meet the income cutoff - it’s based on family size - you must meet this with minimum 3 years income. If you meet all requirements, the program is first come first serve. You apply and hope you get chosen. This past 9Apps Showbox year the application window closed in less than 10 minutes.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It is an extremely competitive program. You must meet the income cutoff - it’s based on family size - you must meet this with minimum 3 years income. If you meet all requirements, the program is first come first serve. You apply and hope you get chosen. This past year the application window closed in less than 10 minutes.
Income requirement is only one year if you live in Quebec.

Program is a lottery - not first come, first serve. Program was a lottery last year as well. IRCC changed from FIFO to lottery a few years ago.